All MetalShaping

All MetalShaping (https://allmetalshaping.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://allmetalshaping.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   a weekend at Peter Tommasinis workshop (https://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=16884)

ekdave1962 07-09-2017 06:35 AM

a weekend at Peter Tommasinis workshop

12 Attachment(s)
What a great weekend final caught up with a few guys from the melb metal shaping team .. and a few new faces .. for some shaping at peter Melbourne workshop .. every time i spend time with peter a walk away with a ton of new skill and of tool :-)
heres a few snaps of the weekend .

Attachment 42325Attachment 42326
Attachment 42327Attachment 42328

Attachment 42315

Attachment 42316

Attachment 42317

Attachment 42318

Attachment 42319

Attachment 42320

Attachment 42323

Bevelhead 07-09-2017 06:51 AM

A huge thanks to Peter Tommasini for allowing us the use of his shop, but more the skill and knowledge he happily passes on to numpties like me who still knows so little, with so much to learn.

Peter is a real craftsman, and is always happy to help

Got to buy some awesome tools as well...!!!

route56wingnut 07-09-2017 09:32 AM

Peter how are those Pullmax dies you got from me working out . Ready for more Radius ?

Peter Tommasini 07-09-2017 06:04 PM

Dan
The tooling are working well :D
Peter

BTromblay 07-09-2017 11:54 PM

Hi,

It looks like you guys are freezing cold down under☺

Cheers

Peter Tommasini 07-10-2017 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTromblay (Post 137991)
Hi,

It looks like you guys are freezing cold down under☺

Cheers

You are not wrong!!!!! It's Bloody cold in the morning:eek::eek::eek::eek:
Peter

neilb 07-10-2017 07:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
it was a busy weekend that's for sure, everybody had something they were working on, i arrived late on saturday and was informed by johny left hand lol, that you guy's got to see peter's big! power hammer in action...
Attachment 42329
Attachment 42330

i spoke to peter about this and its frame, let me get this right. a cast ewheel frame boxed with steel plate and filled with sand! i'm sure he will correct me if i'm wrong lol, love to see it in action!

i'll be up again soon peter :)
thanks for your help

kiwi john 07-11-2017 03:46 AM

Thanks Dave for posting the pics. Every meet needs a dedicated photo man !

I think the mexicans need to say a very big THANK YOU to Peter for opening not only his doors but his 40 YEARS of experience to us over the weekend

Anyone who has been taught by Peter will understand just how spoilt we are here in Melbourne to have such talent . Pete' s passion for shaping metal is contagious. He showed us his new planishing hammer ( Probably heard 13 suburbs away) and the exicitement on his face was like that of a child at Christmas !
From the first time I met Peter he hammered into me the need to repeat the basics over and over till I understood what the metal was saying. We totalled his hours (skin in the game ) and came up with a figure around 200k plus

We had a great time with the Dr quietly circulating just making sure all were heading in the right direction

Dave was thrilled with his freshly minted doorskin ( until a perfect og one turned up ! )
Dennis deafened us all week end but eventually produced a beautiful reproduction of a bumperette (?) that is unobtaniable here

Neil popped in on the Sunday but didn't do anything ( 356 guy. Too cool to practice ) Marcus did the same !!

Rick made a Ducati tank twice. ( Dont you just love it when the Master points out a better way to do something ) .To Rick's credit he simply started again and made # 2 better and quicker

Peter, Scott and Elliot worked on a RS Capri guard and a Jag bootlid ( E type)
Scott had sourced a reproduction frame but ended up adding so much to the flange that it was easier for him and L Maestro to wheel up a new skin from scratch
\

At the risk of pissing off a few people I'll simply say here that until you have witnessed a wheel been operated by someone who knows what they are doing you simply dont know what you dont know

Stiff frames, noodles, cast, fabricated. They are all just rolling anvils and when you take the perceived " pressure component" out of the equation a whole new world opens up.
I ran Pete's Mc Pherson over the week end and made 5 miniature 356 hoods just to try to understand what was going on. PSI will just bite you on the ass. Stretch with a blocking hammer, blend with the wheel and move the material to where you want it .

I wish everyone could just spend a few hours with Peter. He's getting old and cranky now but his logic stands true.
Geoff Moss ( forget the cigarettes and anvils on the floor) produces outstandind results as does David Gardiner Their approach is the same.
The basics just dont change.
Unfortunately You tube has produced " experts" who rely on their disciples for validation and then the myths and mirrors do their job

Tomorrow I will post the 36 guard that Pete made ( blocked, wheeled and gas welded together)

My Challenge ... If you have a better, more efficient way of producing this product at this level of quality ... show us... Mig Tig Hammer arc whatever etc

Cheers Johnny Lefty

neilb 07-11-2017 04:06 AM

Quote:

Neil popped in on the Sunday but didn't do anything ( 356 guy. Too cool to practice ) Marcus did the same !!
lmao, i'm far from cool! :lol:

kiwi john 07-11-2017 04:12 AM

Neil You are cool ( we talked about this and you said you were happy to go along )

:)