All MetalShaping

All MetalShaping (https://allmetalshaping.com/index.php)
-   Heads Up Announcements (https://allmetalshaping.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Great News: Hoosier Profiles NOT closing at the end of the year. (https://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=19114)

Kerry Pinkerton 07-01-2019 10:48 PM

Great News: Hoosier Profiles NOT closing at the end of the year.

Joe Andrews just made this post on Facebook:

Quote:

We will be Closing Hoosier Profiles at the end of 2019.
There are many reasons for this Decision, Shipping increases, Steel prices, Lack of a International Sales, Business and Property Insurance, and also Machine Repairs.
Our Economy here in the USA is fantastic, however that means the Exchange rate for other Countries is Terrible. USA Sales are not enough to keep us out of the Red.
As an Example Australia was our number one International Country for Sales, their current Exchange rate is 1 Australian dollar is .70 cents USD. Currently we get one Order a Month from Australia if we’re Lucky. We used to Ship 3-5 packages a week to Australia.
The first 6 years we were in Business we were profitable, the last 3 have all been a Loss.
We want Everyone who has purchased Our Products to know We Really Appreciated Your Business.
At years end Our Lawyers will be dissolving Hoosier Profiles Legally, and they are also Protecting Our Proprietary Items now, until then we will be taking orders, if Sales continue to fall off we will Close sooner.
This is the Last Chance to place an order. There will be no more Sales, and any remaining Items we have will be Listed until Sold.
Sincerely,
Joe & Peggy

This is terrible news for the metalshaping community. To my knowledge there is NOBODY that comes close in terms of quality, regardless of price.

Jaroslav 07-02-2019 01:17 AM

I visited several colleagues. They do a good job. Their molding equipment is appalling. They don't know EW. They don't want to invest in equipment.
I understand them wrong paying them for their work.
Therefore they work without love for work and therefore do not invest. I was very surprised.
Maybe the answer ...

kiwi john 07-02-2019 03:30 AM

Thank you Joe and Peggy for your support of our hobby -passion-business over the years. I am always disappointed when people are unable to turn a profit and eventually walk away. Sometimes no matter how hard you work there comes the time to know when to call it a day. That’s a tough decision to make. It takes courage and I applaud you. I will have a chat to Peter T and see if we can get his anvils to the US at a good rate. As the Aussie dollar is falling by the week and will probably bottom around $0.59 it may present an affordable alternative. Good luck with your future endeavours. Kind regards Kiwi John

James. V. D. W 07-02-2019 03:36 AM

The exchange rate is a huge issue for me. Currently it is just under 15/1 and getting worse. I have looked at a few of their products, but all I can do is look.

Charlie Myres 07-02-2019 03:38 AM

Hoosier are a wonderful business to deal with, as well as friendly and making superb tools.

What a shame! Good luck for the future Joe and Peggy,

Cheers Charlie

cliffrod 07-02-2019 08:24 AM

Tough news. I hope the process can be resolved as well as possible for Joe and Peggy.

I only purchased wheel & anvils from them for my HandBuilt English wheel and have no complaints. I would have liked to purchase more from them, but as a one-off specialty manufacturer myself in an incredibly difficult market, it's tough to make all the numbers work.

Think about what you value & then think who and what you actually support.

SWT Racing 07-02-2019 10:34 AM

This is sad news indeed.

I updated my upper yoke years ago to fit one of their 8x3 upper wheels, but never placed an order. I've spoken with Peggy, and am placing an order for a hardened wheel and anvil set for my upgraded yellow noodle. I feel like you can't have a proper wheeling machine unless it has a set of Joe and Peggy's wheels and anvils on it.

Best of luck to Joe and Peggy in the future.

idickers 07-02-2019 10:56 AM

Sad news indeed. I've purchased uppers and multiple sets of lowers for my english wheel from Joe, and have always been impressed with his workmanship. I just bought his adjuster and some dies for my HF bead roller, and am equally impressed. I'm just glad I was able to order while they were in business, as their level of quality repays itself in the work we can do with their tools.

Kerry Pinkerton 07-02-2019 11:16 AM

Over the years I owned Imperial Wheeling Machines, I purchased about 400 sets of anvils from Joe through the 3 different companies (CNC Solutions, Hoosier Pattern, and Hoosier Profiles). We had our issues over the last 16 years and a couple times I looked for alternative suppliers.

Long story short. There isn't one. NOBODY in the country is close in terms of quality. NOBODY in the country is close in terms of price even for lower quality until you get down to Chinese junk.

Joe makes rollers for just about every ewheel manufacturer except for MetalAcew/Trick tools who, unless they've changed, makes theirs out of 1018 steel. But at least they are concentric.

And this doesn't address all the other things Joe makes for the community like planishing hammer tooling, Eckold adapter plates, etc, etc, etc.

I expect Joe will see a bump in orders because of this news and he should. If anyone on this forum is considering getting an ewheel or upgrading theirs, I'd suggest trying to swing an order before it's too late.

SWT Racing 07-02-2019 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton (Post 156839)
I expect Joe will see a bump in orders because of this news. . .

I expect you are correct Kerry. I just ordered a set, and Peggy had to call me back for payment info, since she had to run out to buy more printer ink!