All MetalShaping

All MetalShaping (https://allmetalshaping.com/index.php)
-   Automotive Projects (https://allmetalshaping.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   54 MG drag car hood (https://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=1305)

Marty Comstock 05-12-2010 06:46 AM

54 MG drag car hood

9 Attachment(s)
While in Rhinebeck, my sponsor Pat, wanted a better hood built for his 54 MG drag car. Small block chebby with injection through the hood. He had an original hood to go from, so I took that home and made a simple copy.

I dont have pics or much detail on how I laid it out, but can discuss how i did it if anybody in interested.

A pretty simple fun project. Used .062 3003 ally, covered the outside i clear shelf paper to protect it, and went to town...

GoKart slicking the rolls, started out with a high crown lower wooden anvil and sucessivley got smaller untill I reached the radius I wanted.

Attachment 4760

Rolled edges, ready for trim

Attachment 4761

Laying the original hood to transfer my cut lines for length and width

Attachment 4762

so far so good...

Attachment 4763

cut the hole for the injection

Attachment 4764

a great spot for my SuperDuperTipGrips

Attachment 4765

Almost tipped all the way.

Attachment 4766

Alil hammer and dolly work on the tipped edges, and this is what you see here.

Attachment 4767

The best part of this project, my very first Dutchie Seal Of Approval. If anybody has ever gotten one of these, you know what I mean.

Attachment 4768

I had to do something when these guys were shopping a top in the shop inbetween documenting the top chop project :D

Enjoy
Marty

KMAC 05-12-2010 06:58 AM

Kmac

Marty I love your tip- grips . Just makes perfect sense.I am all about making my own tools to do a job that I need to do. Good thinking.
Kenny

Joe Hartson 05-12-2010 07:08 AM

Marty, nice job on the hood. Thanks for posting, wondered what you were doing during breaks while taking pictures.

Marty Comstock 05-12-2010 07:09 AM

Kenny, Dyce built a kick azz set that are even simpler to build than mine were, look at the tip grip thread, you will get some good ideas

Marty

rlile 05-12-2010 09:15 AM

that looks prett cool, Marty. Got any pics of the car?

Marty Comstock 05-20-2010 05:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I went to Pat's shop to deliver the hood, and it fitts great, aside that the radiator was closer than stock, no big, that'll trim to fit nicely. It is a 52, and has been a drag car since the early 60's. Can ya imagine an 11 second MG? and Pat does it with one paw to, how cool is that? :D

Attachment 4957

Attachment 4958

Attachment 4959

Marty

Z5Roadster 05-20-2010 06:48 AM

That looks great Marty, nice little car thats grown big, do you ever sleep?

I can't wait to get to the metal stage, just hope I can do it good. Its the last bit that troubles me, planishing :eek: I can put bends in alright.

Marty Comstock 05-20-2010 07:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
one last pic...

Attachment 4962

jhnarial 05-20-2010 09:07 AM

Looks good Marty.

I know it's long but it doesn't look like it fits the radiator shell. I looked up a 52 and the hood looks like your. It was a bad picture but it looks like the hood sits lower then the shell is that right?

Neat car

Marty Comstock 05-20-2010 09:17 AM

Yes, the hood sits behind the radaitor shell neatly in a step. The original has a hinge down the middle so it lays nicely, and with the bead I will put down the center of the new hood to simulate the original hinge, a slight bend over the knee will get it to fit nice and proper.
Marty