All MetalShaping

All MetalShaping (https://allmetalshaping.com/index.php)
-   Announcements (https://allmetalshaping.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Not contemporary metal shaping, but I am pumped again! (https://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=18278)

RockHillWill 08-31-2018 07:29 PM

Not contemporary metal shaping, but I am pumped again!

3 Attachment(s)
I was notified earlier this morning that Jeffry Earnhardt will be using my old paint scheme for this weekends 'throwback' race at the Darlington superspeedway, just down the road here in south Carolina. This is the second year in a row that my original Dale Earnhardt, Sr. paint scheme has been selected. Dale Jr. and Jeff Burton were discussing the reason that the numbers were done the way that they were, and I don't want to tell them that it was because I did not get the car done in time to arrange for a sign painter, so I used two different size paint and storage can and assorted width tape to paint them on myself. The pictures below are of the original paint scheme, last year at Darlington and this years presentation. I actually did a lot of metal work on these cars back in that day, but not in the way that I have been exposed to since joining this site.

Attachment 48543

Attachment 48544

Attachment 48545

Kyle_yocum 09-01-2018 07:37 AM

This is awesome! Congratulations my friend

MP&C 09-01-2018 08:28 AM

Good to see your paint scheme lives on! Congrats Will!

Steve Hamilton 09-01-2018 09:09 AM

Congrats Will, that is really cool!

When under pressure, you do what ever it takes to get it done!

Gando 09-01-2018 11:00 AM

The graphic artist in me loves the arrangement and the craftsmanship!
You are way more talented than you give yourself credit for!

THREE FOR DALE!!!!!......in a #96 sorta way

Gando
David Gandy
Concord NC

crystallographic 09-01-2018 03:42 PM

rare excellence

Will,
I have met very few people who could tackle those race machine problems with the results you have gotten. I intend to follow Kevin Costner's tin cup example and spend more time at the Waffle House ...
:):)

RockHillWill 09-01-2018 07:15 PM

12 Attachment(s)
Hey, guys, I just got back from the track. Young Jeffrey had a brush against the wall in the afternoon practice, I did not get a chance to get that replica photo made with him on pit road. While they were stripping off the right rear quarter panel/trunk items, I put down my camera and nap sack and picked up some of the wadded-up crush panels that they had taken out and they were pleasantly surprised to find that I had straightened out five of the seven panels before they began to look for them to repair. There are no sheet metal facilities at the track, so a lot of the damage has to be repaired right there in their garage stall with only about 6 feet in between the cars. They are mostly 2D curved panels with edges and a few lips, so it was not a difficult job, but I think I impressed them with how fast they had been repaired. I've been invited to their shop in the near future and will take a look at their sheet metal shop equipment. Anyway, here are a few pictures that I took. I did not want to get in their way or look like a spectator.

The Darlington race track provided me garage pass credentials to get some comparative photos taken regarding Dale Sr. and his grandson race car photos and because it did not happen today, they will be upgrading my credentials to actually allow me to be on pit road and in the pits for the actual race tomorrow. It's been a long time, but I really enjoyed the familiar aroma of the race fuel, race motor exhaust and burning rubber, but not so much the near 100 degree temps in the deep South's sunny afternoons.

Attachment 48587

Attachment 48588

Attachment 48589

Attachment 48590

Attachment 48591

Attachment 48592

Attachment 48593

Attachment 48594

Attachment 48595

Attachment 48596

Attachment 48597

Attachment 48598

BTromblay 09-01-2018 10:54 PM

Hi Will,

Congratulations on the paint work, have fun tomorrow at the track.

Bill

Mike Rouse 09-01-2018 10:59 PM

Congratulations Will you are a part of the history of NASCAR.

Mike

Peter Tommasini 09-02-2018 06:37 PM

Well done Will you should be proud
Peter