All MetalShaping

All MetalShaping (https://allmetalshaping.com/index.php)
-   Welding Sheet Metal (https://allmetalshaping.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   TIG-tacking aluminum - no peek and no filler (https://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=18219)

crystallographic 08-10-2018 11:41 AM

TIG-tacking aluminum - no peek and no filler

6 Attachment(s)
This is for those situations where because you are holding one large panel up against another you have only one hand to tack with.

For instance, when adding a formed dash panel onto a cowl section and the weld seam will be 36 to 44 inches long (90cm to 110cm). If you can perform this little skill it will save time you will expend on a clamping fixture.
(I showed this on video/dvd back in 1995 - http://www.tinmantech.com/products/d...g-aluminum.php)

Attachment 48293
Porsche spyder #030, F2 car, new dash going in - but had to fight to keep alignment while making tack welds.

Later on I learned the Better Method from the L.A. car builders - (guys like Phil Remington, Nye Frank, Tom Hanna and others had been doing this since the 1960's) : TIG-tacking - no peek and no filler...

Set your TIG machine to AC, 60-70Amps, hi-freq start, gas flow 8.
Sharpen a clean 1/8" tung to a 45 deg angle (2% Thor - or Lanth, or Zirc or Pure - any will do just fine )
Withdraw the tung back up in the cup about .050" - 1.2 mm.
Attachment 48294
Hold the TIG torch smack dab square on the panel joint. This downward pressure is very helpful when forcing two shaped panels into alignment - with the edges touching - the panel edges must touch when tacking as the molten metal will not leap across open space because you want it to ... :eek:

Attachment 48295
Hit the pedal/trigger and wait 3 heart beats.
Attachment 48296
You have a no-peek fusion/autogenous/no-filler TIG tack.
Attachment 48297
And as many as you want.
Attachment 48298

CAVEAT: Solvent clean FIRST with 99% isopropyl ....

(WARNING: using chlorinated hydrocarbons such as brake cleaner in the presence of high frequency welding currents will create Phosgene Gas - Mustard Gas and if you breathe this it will give you a hospital visit/stay.

This is a nifty time-saving and elegant tack-welding method.
Success and joy!

Secant 08-10-2018 01:37 PM

That's slick!

Michael Henry 08-12-2018 07:02 AM

Thank you

Best regards. Mick

vroom 08-12-2018 07:17 AM

Hmmm. I've tried this a number of times with smaller diameter tungstens without much luck. I would be interested to know what difference the 1/8" tungsten makes.

outsider347 08-12-2018 05:34 PM

Neat technique T Man
Gonna give it a try

Paul New 08-13-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crystallographic (Post 148130)

CAVEAT: Solvent clean FIRST with 99% isopropyl

This is a nifty time-saving and elegant tack-welding method.
Success and joy!

I have been using acetone for all my cleaning prior to welding is isopropyl a better choice?

crystallographic 08-13-2018 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul New (Post 148166)
I have been using acetone for all my cleaning prior to welding is isopropyl a better choice?

99% Isopropyl is cheaper and just as good for the purpose - and it does not go into your liver within 20 seconds after skin contact. (So I have been told by two separate PhD research chemists, while thanking me for my recommendation ...)

Test: Wearing a painter-grade NIOSH respirator (ie: 3M 6200 + 6000 filters) wet a finger with acetone while watching the second timer tick down. When you taste it you have it.

Paul New 08-13-2018 11:03 PM

Thanks for the information really appreciate it

Oldnek 08-18-2018 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crystallographic (Post 148168)
99% Isopropyl is cheaper and just as good for the purpose - and it does not go into your liver within 20 seconds after skin contact. (So I have been told by two separate PhD research chemists, while thanking me for my recommendation ...)

Test: Wearing a painter-grade NIOSH respirator (ie: 3M 6200 + 6000 filters) wet a finger with acetone while watching the second timer tick down. When you taste it you have it.

To think most women have used acetone as (nail polish remover) considering they only changed to non acetone based removers in the last 10 years..........you have to wonder how their livers are going.?

billfunk29 08-20-2018 08:54 AM

TIG tacking

I can't do the "no peek" thing. I use a clear gas cup. They break easier though if you push on a burr.