All MetalShaping

All MetalShaping (https://allmetalshaping.com/index.php)
-   Basic questions and answers (https://allmetalshaping.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   wire used for wire edging panels (https://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=18568)

Steve Hamilton 11-29-2018 05:31 PM

wire used for wire edging panels

Hi Guys
I did some searching and can't seem to find any thing!

I hope we can put together a thread that can be used as a resource for the members, and for me to get a couple fenders completed.
If there are any threads already on our site we could link them here.
If members would post up what information they have on wire edging, i would be happy to edit and organize it into a sticky.
thanks in advance for the help.

now for my questions. I am making Rear fenders for a custom Divco milk truck, out of 19 ga. steel (draw quality), and the customer want the bottom edge and around the wheel opening wired to sorta match the front fenders.
years ago I repaired some fenders and the wire was very stiff. like a spring steel. seems that would be very hard to work with, but would add a lot of strength.
So what do you think!

1. What diameter wire should I use?
2. What grade steel should the wire be?
3. Where can I source the wire in 7 - 8 ft lengths?

thanks
Steve

MP&C 11-29-2018 07:23 PM

Steve, when Patman was out here last year doing a class in the shop, we had picked up some 3/16 rod for making bondo bucks at a a local place called Hilltop Welding. Best prices in town but no phone, an Amish business.. what we picked up was either HRPO or CR because it’s clean without scale. This came in about 20’ lengths and we did have it cut in half for the trip home. I don’t do much wiring but that seemed to work well for those two jobs (Biederman hood sides and AC condenser mount) and the 10’ pieces seem to be long enough for anything I’m gonna do. I think many of the car wiring done is 1/8 but for the Divco I would think it would be better suited to 3/16 wire, given the size of the vehicle. My Biederman thread has a pic of the Pullmax dies I made to joggle the edge for an outward bead. In the middle of something right now, but I can add the wiring part of that thread here late if you want it grouped together.

John Buchtenkirch 11-29-2018 08:10 PM

I have used stainless steel wire from McMaster-Carr. ~ John Buchtenkirch

Butch Duke 11-29-2018 08:26 PM

wire used for wire edging panels

Hi Steve.
I believe Kent white has a article on his web site on wired fender edges.
Butch Duke

BTromblay 11-29-2018 10:26 PM

HI Steve,

I use 5/32" stainless steel wire and I know Joe Stafford uses 1/8" 1100 aluminum wire for his alloy bodys. Speedy metals carries all the different wire sizes, for steel I would recommend 1018 material.

Hope it helps,

Bill

Peter Tommasini 11-30-2018 01:22 AM

Steve
I use 4 mm mild steel rod
Peter

billfunk29 11-30-2018 10:27 AM

wire

I use 1/8" steel. Galvanized, if I can find it. Had luck with 8 gauge fence wire. Stainless wire will make your panel take on any corrosion effects.
https://galvanizeit.org/design-and-f...als-in-contact

crystallographic 11-30-2018 11:30 AM

wired edges

1 Attachment(s)
Ford used 1/8" dia wire on the cars.
5/32" on the trucks.
I'd use the 5/32" dia wire for your truck fenders.

I have rolls of soft galvy 5/32" dia wire I use in the workshops here for teaching wired edges, because it is easier to roll around larger dia wire than smaller.
I just buy RG45 welding wire in 36" lengths, gas weld the butts and hammer them until cold, making good bendable lengths for any job I have had to do.
Cheap, good quality and available, and the flash of copper helps with corrosion-prevention.;) ... or it makes me feel better. :):)

Attachment 50205
(JagXKE modifications)
Back when I was a pup I was proud of my "jenny" ability on wired edges, until I spoke with one of Breedlove's crew, and I learned the reasons for doing wire edges - by hand - on the car/truck/large section.

I'm happy with the machines doing it but I teach the hand skills. :):)

Steve Hamilton 11-30-2018 01:27 PM

Thanks for all of information!

Steve

timothale 12-01-2018 09:31 AM

grid ceiling wire

I have used the wire used to hang the grid for suspended office ceiling, 12 gage and came in 10 ft lengths, I was working on an office job and bought the installer lunch for about a dozen pieces, It's a fairly stiff wire galvanized