All MetalShaping

All MetalShaping (https://allmetalshaping.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://allmetalshaping.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   As promised, Shop tour of Tromblay Tool near Mukwonga, Wisconson (https://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=17976)

RockHillWill 05-09-2018 07:14 PM

As promised, Shop tour of Tromblay Tool near Mukwonga, Wisconson

37 Attachment(s)
Here is the post that I mentioned that I would share from a shop visit to Bill Tromblay's Tool company in Wisconsin. Bill is such a mild mannered man, that it is hard to imagine the skill and talent that belies your first impression of this gentleman. Bill not only has a machine shop, but has many additional skills as well. He is an airplane engine rebuilder, an excellent welder, solder-er and braze-er, as well as a tool designer, and he makes you think that he is just learning about metal shaping, but he has many metal shaping and assembly skills.

I made the stop to Bill's shop along with Jim Hery as we were on our way to Dan Pate's Route56Wingnut event last week, so we were limited in time. I am optimistic that Bill will jump in and make any corrections, additions or add information as he sees fit. Bill Trombley is NOT a show off! I asked him to pose for most of these photos. Shown below in one of the pictures is Bills brother Jim and Jim's son Tony. It is a close knit family of very skilled and talented individuals.

Tromblay Tool LLC is located near Mukwongo, Wisconsin and if you have a question regarding any of their work capabilities or need any of this type of work done, PM me and I will provide some contact information, or PM Bill himself here on the forum.

Along with MANY other things that I know very little about, aircraft work is an endeavor that I am not very knowledgeable about, but hopefully my newfound friends Bill Trombley and Kent White can provide some valuable information for my consumption. Please bear with me if I have misconstrued any of these descriptions.

This black engine is 4cylinder inverted inline Rolls/Royce Gipsy engine.
Attachment 47037

This grey engine is a 6cylinder inverted inline Ranger Aircraft engine
Attachment 47038

This is a 1956 Rolls Royce Nene 10 motor that Bill is designing and manufacturing replacement oil lines and fittings as they are no longer available for purchasing.
Attachment 47039

Attachment 47040

Attachment 47041

These next two pictures show some aircraft seat riveting.
Attachment 47042

Attachment 47043

Attachment 47044

Attachment 47045

Attachment 47046

This is an example of the type of machine work that has been completes on Bill's 'lights out' CNC machine.
Attachment 47047

Attachment 47048

This shows one method that Bill uses to back purge when repairing the component shown in the above photo.
Attachment 47049

Attachment 47050

The next three pictures show some cowling work that Bill is doing for a DeHavalene Arenco biplane that he works on for the upcoming Reno air races.
Attachment 47051

Attachment 47052

Attachment 47053

Attachment 47054

Attachment 47055

Attachment 47056

Attachment 47057

Attachment 47058

Attachment 47059

Attachment 47060

Attachment 47061

Attachment 47062

This is the very first one of the Peter Tommasini wheeling machines to be brought into the US. I have brought in an additional 32. The word is getting around.
Attachment 47063

Attachment 47064

Attachment 47065

This is a photo of his magnetic brake, but it is the only picture that I have showing the cast iron sheet metal brake that he recently acquired after selling his fabricated one.
Attachment 47066

The following two photos shows that Bill has made an upper wheel with sharp edges on a longer adjustable upper shaft for doing some detail work on the cast wheeling machine
Attachment 47067

Shown here is one of the ideas that Bill has devised to make detailed shapes in panels. I am trying to get him to share some of these many additions that he has made for Peters machine.
Attachment 47068

Attachment 47069

Below are Bills brother Jim and Jim's son Tony, both of which showed us some of their work. These are two talented guys as well.
Attachment 47070

Attachment 47071

Attachment 47072

Attachment 47073

longyard 05-09-2018 07:36 PM

Very impressive shop owned by a guy with even more impressive skills! Thanks for the photo tour, Will.

Mike Rouse 05-09-2018 08:33 PM

Thanks Will and Bill for the pictures of the shop and projects. Aircraft work is precision work.

Mike.

cliffrod 05-09-2018 08:36 PM

Thanks for the pics, Will. Bill's place looks great.

One question- what is the blue CP cast iron reciprocating machine? One of the pics shows Bill and Jim standing with it?

route56wingnut 05-09-2018 08:53 PM

The Man The Legend Great Guy I have the privalage to call my friend

Steve Hamilton 05-09-2018 09:28 PM

Will thanks for sharing the photos of the Tromblay’s shop and projects.

Bill. the shop and projects are impressive!

Steve

RockHillWill 05-10-2018 06:03 AM

Cliff, the blue CP machine in not a reciprocating machine, but rather a large rivet 'punch', and is one of the reasons we stopped at Bill's shop. Jim Hery has just acquired one of these punches and Bill offered to provide some paper work and additional advice on how to use it, and is here showing how he modified it to use some Erco (thanks Dan) tooling.

cliffrod 05-10-2018 06:14 AM

Thanks, Will. Didn't think it looked like a reciprocating machine, but the tooling in it didn't look like punch tooling even though it's beside that turret punch.

route56wingnut 05-10-2018 06:49 AM

Will those are Erco dies

RockHillWill 05-10-2018 07:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the plane that Bill crews on that races at places like Reno, Nevada. By looking at the legs in this picture, I would venture to say that Bill, and the lady on the cowl are not related.:lol:

Attachment 47080