All MetalShaping

All MetalShaping (https://allmetalshaping.com/index.php)
-   Automotive Projects (https://allmetalshaping.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Scratch build Art Deco Roadster (https://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=145)

steve3 12-30-2016 07:36 PM

I like what youve done just as it is, its an achievement few will ever arrive at.
One small note from my own metal work... aint nothing looks quite done till the colors on. Try photo shopping some paint on it, everything will change, great job, happy new years.

Jack 1957 02-23-2017 12:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I read that you've been reconsidering the side vents and came across this picture. I think it's a Talbot or Delahaye. Not sure.

Attachment 40563

macdesign 02-24-2017 02:00 AM

I believe it's Wayne Davis’ 1939 Delahaye 165 with Figoni & Falaschi coachwork.
There's not a lot about it out there but here is what I found
It occasionally pops up at a concourse and open days at his collection.
It's nearly as nice as some of the work on this forum :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack 1957 (Post 134134)
I read that you've been reconsidering the side vents and came across this picture. I think it's a Talbot or Delahaye. Not sure.

Attachment 40563

Superleggera 02-24-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macdesign (Post 134153)
I believe it's Wayne Davis’ 1939 Delahaye 165 with Figoni & Falaschi coachwork.

Nope. It is an imaginative recreation built on a modern street rod chassis. I know the person who originated the project along with several of the people who did the coachwork along the way over the years. Nice car but nothing original from the era.

macdesign 02-25-2017 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superleggera (Post 134162)
Nope. It is an imaginative recreation built on a modern street rod chassis. I know the person who originated the project along with several of the people who did the coachwork along the way over the years. Nice car but nothing original from the era.

Thanks for that.
Great workmanship, nonetheless, from what can be seen in the pic.
So who did do the work on it or is there anything on the web about it?

Kerry Pinkerton 06-17-2018 08:18 PM

9 Attachment(s)
It's been awhile since I've done anything on the roadster but lately I've been trying to make some progress. Before I get real serious about getting the body ready for primer, I need to finish the decklid and taillight housings.

Some time ago, I bent the flanges that will form part of the weatherstrip trough. My plan was to weld in the 4 sides and then make and weld in the corners. In the below photo, I'm comparing the two side flanges.

Attachment 47884

The first thing I did was shape an 'L' that is to welded the flanges. In this photo, I'm read to scribe it for the cut so that it will be the proper depth.

Attachment 47885

Welded and trimmed

Attachment 47886

Attachment 47887

Other side tacked

Attachment 47888

Things were going really well.... and then they weren't.:(

Once AGAIN, I got bit by my foolish thinking that I did not need a symmetrical structure to build to. More times than I care to remember, this fundamental error has caused me to do major rework. Today, It was quite hot and I took a break in the nearest empty chair. Which happened to be about 20 feet to the rear of the car. As I was sitting there cooling off, I saw this:

Attachment 47891

Do you see it? Yep, the right side of the decklid opening is lower than the right. Three quarters of an inch to be exact. *&$%#@)** This photo shows a straight edge that is actually in the correct line and if you look close, you can see that the left side is higher than the right. I really thought I had made triple sure this was right before now. sigh....

Attachment 47890

Lots of ways to fix this but the easiest way was to cut a long thin wedge out of the panel and lower the left side to be symmetrical to the right. So I did. &$$#&^^%

Attachment 47893

So it's done and I got one corner welded in. I'm hoping to get the other 3 corners done in the next couple days and start on the decklid inner structure and hinges.

Once again, just for the new folks who may have just found this LONG term thread, I'll over this sage advice. Don't, under any circumstances, EVER attempt to build anything that is supposed to be symmetrical without at least a rudimentary hard buck, wire form, something! Never ever! If I had spent 40 hours more at the beginning of this project back 12 years ago, I'd have been finished years ago.

CARS 06-17-2018 09:52 PM

As frustrated as you are, you are still doing what only a few would even attemp. For that Sir, we applaud you!

Jack 1957 06-17-2018 10:31 PM

Great to see you're back on the job. Keep plugging away, there's no such thing as an "Easy Button".

123pugsy 06-18-2018 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton (Post 147097)

Once again, just for the new folks who may have just found this LONG term thread, I'll over this sage advice. Don't, under any circumstances, EVER attempt to build anything that is supposed to be symmetrical without at least a rudimentary hard buck, wire form, something! Never ever! If I had spent 40 hours more at the beginning of this project back 12 years ago, I'd have been finished years ago.

X2..........I did the same thing on my front clip and what a challenge to get it right.
I'll be building a nice buck for my hood when the time comes.

neilb 06-18-2018 05:37 AM

is it an optical illusion or does the left side 1/4 panel sit higher than the right?