All MetalShaping

All MetalShaping (https://allmetalshaping.com/index.php)
-   Miscellanous products related to metalshaping (https://allmetalshaping.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   english wheel lower anvils (https://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=17396)

neilb 12-03-2017 03:42 AM

english wheel lower anvils

7 Attachment(s)
not sure if this is in the correct spot but i thought i'd share it with you, i have a 3d printer basically to prototype a part for my porsche project's engine cooling system. anyway i thought i would give an idea i had a go, and see if it worked.

so i drew up a lower anvil for the english wheel only to be used for tipping a radius

Attachment 44392
Attachment 44393
Attachment 44394
Attachment 44395
Attachment 44396
Attachment 44397
Attachment 44398

it needs to be smoothed out but that's easy enough to do, not sure how long it will last but it is only for tipping

Mike Motage 12-03-2017 08:29 AM

I like it!

Kerry Pinkerton 12-03-2017 09:09 AM

I've turned a similar profile on a lathe using baseball blanks...usually ash but any hardwood will work. They hold up well for rolling an edge. I tend to use a gokart slick rather than the steel upper.

Superleggera 12-03-2017 11:22 AM

Questions: Which media did you use -- PLA, ABS or other? Did you utilize 100% infill? Layer height?

Interesting thought is one could engineer (and print) upper/lower wheels with different durometers as well and even do engineered infill designs for specialized wheeling applications.

Same could be done for bead roller dies perhaps?

Or an engineered type of "rubber band" to slip over the regular upper wheel?

Easy to make unique shapes, profiles, etc and the cost to do is minimal. Longevity would be an issue but most 3D printing given time involved usually can be unattended.

Thoughts from the 3D printing experts out there?

Jaroslav 12-03-2017 01:59 PM

substitute produce

Of course, the 21st century has progressed and the machine will do the job itself ....... it just comes to me - we are tolded - " craft to do fight back " .
Meanwhile me, it still seems easier to process a piece of steel. But I have everything I need at my disposal. As a disposable tool, but a good idea if I have this 3D printing technology available.

Interresting idea.

Just Lookin 12-03-2017 02:04 PM

3D die prototypes - Great post.

Thank you for posting this. It is the best use of a 3D printer I have seen yet. You will surely be getting tons of questions on this as alternate (home made) die materials are always a topic here. With one photo, you have clearly demonstrated that this method/use will work and the dies will survive for long runs of tipped metal. Wow. Thanks again.

neilb 12-04-2017 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superleggera (Post 141797)
Questions: Which media did you use -- PLA, ABS or other? Did you utilize 100% infill? Layer height

I used PLA believe it or not it's quite minimal at 15% infill, 1mm outer shell.

I did do one before at 20% with a 2mm outer shell but it came unstuck from the bed. If it fails it fails, as long as it does its job it's all good.

Not sure about bead roller dies, I have drawn up some tank roll dies so ill give it a go and report back

Z5Roadster 12-04-2017 03:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've printed out punch and die to form Fulton Sun shield cover caps for a friend in The Catskills.

Attachment 44403

Attachment 44404

The tooling was in PLA 2mm solid fill then 0.2mm steps the punch would last possible 5 parts but the die was destroyed on 1 component material 0.012" copper/bronze nickle plated