All MetalShaping

All MetalShaping (https://allmetalshaping.com/index.php)
-   Introductions (https://allmetalshaping.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Hi, Looking forward to expanding my skills on metal shaping. (https://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=16239)

patterg2003 01-25-2017 02:43 AM

Hi, Looking forward to expanding my skills on metal shaping.

I have had a life long interest on repairing and replacing metal on cars. I have built a few large patch panels and then painted the repairs to make them disappear. I was lucky to be mentored by a good friend on how to lay down paint and have painted 3 cars. I had a brother inlaw cut the lower rear quarter off his 70 Chev Caprice to find that there was no patch panels available at that time. I took patterns off the left side and successfully replicated a metal lower on the right side. The give away was some imperfections visible on the trunk side. It was basically survivor mode when I was younger to keep the cars on the road and looking good when when times were tight. My nephew rolled his truck and they picked up a good cab and doors. I massaged the dings and dents back into shape, replaced a box side & sprayed it out for him. My dad was extremely capable and mechanically inclined and I probably had my head in the way growing up. Took shops in high school & went of to college to be an engineering technologist. I worked in an pulp & papermill engineering office designing, fixing, upgraduing equipment and working closely with trades and contractors to get the work done. It was good work. I retired and went to the Alberta oil sands for 3 years & was happy to be there. The wife retired and I was missed so happy to be home again.

I am just finishing building a 4 seater airplane that is scratch built. We hand formed and built an aluminum winged with rag & tube fuselage airplane. The airplane has turned out to be one that we can be proud of. I developed a unique system of fabricating forming dies and jigs to press in the wing rib hole flanges with a router. I believe that it could be a first for machining round male dies as there was no access to a lathe. The male plug dies and female die were machined with a circle baseplate on a 3 hp router that were extremely accurate and indexed with the rib form patterns. I wrote a 30 page manual on making tool & dies with a router on the Bearhawk forum. Developed a system that was shared to router all the wing inspection hole parts that fit tight for a clean airflow. Submitted several articles to the builder quarterly to make processes easier or better known for fellow builders who have not got there yet.

I picked up a 40 Ford that needs to be brought back to life. I would like to learn as much as possible on the equipment & methods of shaping sheet metal rather than buy it all. The intent is to observe & learn as much as possible to advance the skills. I enjoy the satisfaction of doing high quality work and look forward to reading the threads of those willing to share their work. It is impressive to see a master deftly coax a flat sheet into a full quarter panel or into a fat fender.

Second goal is to see how members build their own equipment whether it be planishing hammers, e wheels, forming bucks etc to be independent.

Glenn

Peter Tommasini 01-25-2017 06:07 PM

Hi Glen welcome to the forum
Peter

luscten 01-25-2017 10:29 PM

Welcome to the group Glenn. Using a router to make aircraft parts sound interesting. I looked up the article you wrote but could not read it. Do I have to sign up on the forum?

Randy

zekeymonkey 01-26-2017 05:34 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum.

cliffrod 01-26-2017 08:08 AM

Welcome to the forum, Glenn.

patterg2003 01-26-2017 02:08 PM

Hi, Looking forward to expand my skills on metal shaping.

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by luscten (Post 133115)
Welcome to the group Glenn. Using a router to make aircraft parts sound interesting. I looked up the article you wrote but could not read it. Do I have to sign up on the forum?

Randy

Thanks for the welcome.
I tried to download w/o the log in but no luck. I put together a brief snipit of the document to give some insight. The document is just too big for the AMS forum no matter how I try to compress it. The Bearhawk Forum is a good group to sign up with if you want to see the full document.
Glenn