All MetalShaping

All MetalShaping (https://allmetalshaping.com/index.php)
-   Welding Sheet Metal (https://allmetalshaping.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Awadi Welds Steel Video (https://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=18656)

longyard 01-02-2019 04:13 PM

Awadi Welds Steel Video

Here's Mohamed Awadi welding steel on a new body. Notice how he uses his left hand as a fulcrum and rocks the torch in and out of the puddle.

https://www.facebook.com/mohamed.aou...8038883880784/

ozcad 01-02-2019 05:09 PM

The video would not work for me so I looked up awadi coachbuilding on facebook which led me to a few cool videos. There is an interesting short video of the olive machine in action making a reverse curve. WOW, I so want an olive machine.

Ken Hosford 01-02-2019 05:50 PM

Is there a way to view content and not be a face booker ?
I do not have the time for face book .

Chris_Hamilton 01-02-2019 05:52 PM

Not working for me either.:confused:

Peter Tommasini 01-02-2019 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longyard (Post 152117)
Here's Mohamed Awadi welding steel on a new body. Notice how he uses his left hand as a fulcrum and rocks the torch in and out of the puddle.

https://www.facebook.com/mohamed.aou...8038883880784/

Nice video Bill
See how he does the weld ?? No wire used except where the hole are, but even then he goes back and fill the holes after the weld is finished and cooled down ,that is how to keep the weld the same as far as heat range on the panel and that means less distortion :D

this method has been used from any Italian Carrozzeria's for many Years, if you are not sure simply look at any Alfa, lancia ferrari etc from that era after stripping the paint off :D

longyard 01-02-2019 07:28 PM

Sorry that some of you can't see the video. I'm not tech geek enough to know what to recommend, regretfully.

Peter, Thank-you for amplifying on Mohamed's technique. I'm sure you learned from the old masters at Scaglietti. Mohamed told me that he started as an apprentice in French public school when he was 14. His first three years EVERYTHING was done by hand...no machines allowed.

skintkarter 01-02-2019 08:03 PM

Just tried to view Bill and think the issue is with your privacy settings. Probably only viewable to your Facebook friends based on it's current settings. If you go to the top left of your post and select 'edit' you should then be able to go to the bottom right of the post and change the security setting.

BTromblay 01-02-2019 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Tommasini (Post 152125)
Nice video Bill
See how he does the weld ?? No wire used except where the hole are, but even then he goes back and fill the holes after the weld is finished and cooled down ,that is how to keep the weld the same as far as heat range on the panel and that means less distortion :D

this method has been used from any Italian Carrozzeria's for many Years, if you are not sure simply look at any Alfa, lancia ferrari etc from that era after stripping the paint off :D

Hi Peter,

Is it common to not add filler rod on a aluminum panel as well?

Thanks

Bill

Peter Tommasini 01-03-2019 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTromblay (Post 152138)
Hi Peter,

Is it common to not add filler rod on a aluminum panel as well?

Thanks

Bill

Bill there are a few techniques to weld alluminium I have seen it in Italy in 1967/68 at Scaglietti, and also at Carrozzeria Touring in Milan *Italy) when I visited there .
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...............
Years later, then living in Australia I did see and practice the way that the English tradesman did it in England at Aston Martin ,Rolls Royce. .. They did it a bit different but with the same results.

So here I will try to explain how

In Italy two people would weld a long and large panel, by one person holding the two panels together, and manipulating the panels so the next person (after preparing and fluxing the two panels) would run the oxy torch over the joint and melt the two parts together. Then the panel would get replenished and hammered up on a Maglio , then finished off by hand, this method is very hard to do, and I have only seen a few people doing it right.
I my self cannot get it :eek: .
I have seen two other methods from England tradesmen , The first method was... to turn (with a hand made tool) a very small edge upwards on each of the edges to be welded, then fuse those two edges together, ( again with oxy) meaning that the two upwards edges where used as filler rod. Then after washing the flux thoroughly, the panel would be planished on a stake dolly and then wheeled up . when with this method the panel was finished ,on the inside of the panel the penetration was nearly invisible , :cool: it looked like a mark done with a wet finger on the ally. I have tred that and it works rather well :D.

The next method is the normal conventional method to cut file and bevel the two edges , adjust and tack (again with oxy) then weld with a HOT but soft flame (this is called carbonizing flame ) then simply planish and wheel. The problem with this method.... YOU NEED to have the torch really really working well, WHY ? 1st...... because you do not want to have too much penetration, because that is only going to upset the planishing, 2nd...it might either have a cold weld (meaning it's too high) or a too hot weld causing holes and uneven weld :eek:

If you where to ask me which method I like better.. I would say that, once I have decided on the type of shape I will be welding, I would then decide which method I would use ;)
Peter

Gojeep 01-03-2019 04:13 AM

Maybe others can see his videos on this link?

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Awadi-co...=page_internal