All MetalShaping

All MetalShaping (https://allmetalshaping.com/index.php)
-   Basic questions and answers (https://allmetalshaping.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What you need to get started in metal shaping (https://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=2926)

Kerry Pinkerton 03-11-2011 08:23 PM

The one in the photo was made by Tom Lipton and we used to sell them but when we quit selling them Tom quit making them. :o

Joe at Hoosier made some a few years back and, as mentioned, Mr. C makes them now.

David Gardiner 03-18-2011 01:08 PM

Many simple hand tools can be made. Lots of people make pear shaped mallets from old baseball bats. I make Dolly's from old fork lift forks. A piece of railway track is most useful. A flipper (slapper) can be made from an old leaf spring. Chasing or caulking tools can be made from hardwood or from bolster (brick chisel). There are many many hand tools that can be made very simply- you dont have to invest much money to get started.

David

Jere 03-19-2011 12:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One thing that has not bin shown on this thread yet is tools for deburring material after it is cut.

Attachment 9663

The one on the left is store bought and can some times be purchased at your local hardware store.

The two in the middle can be bought through a machine shop supply house or can be made from old three cornered files.

The drill is used to deburr holes for pop rivets where you cant get a drill motor.

Burring material after it is cut will both keep you from a nasty slice and allow for matching up pieces with magnets.

I'm sure there are other tools used for this purpose. Maybe someone else will show you what they use.

Triker 07-04-2015 05:47 AM

Some great info here for a novice. Time to start making scrap:(

BobD 06-12-2016 09:03 AM

Thanks

Great thread!! Out here in the high country we really don't have a lot of hardwood stumps. Has anyone seen or used something like a butcher block setup where you would just replace the top with different shapes that you could store under the cart? :o:dunce:

BobD 06-12-2016 09:04 AM

Thanks

Great thread!! Out here in the high country we really don't have a lot of hardwood stumps. Has anyone seen or used something like a butcher block setup where you would just replace the top with different shapes that you could store under the cart? :o:dunce:

Kerry Pinkerton 06-12-2016 09:09 AM

Yes. Yes you can.

bobadame 06-12-2016 09:14 AM

Bob, we do have elm out here and it works very well.

Peter Tommasini 06-12-2016 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Comstock (Post 28848)
Thare are also a few more things that help.

Tenacity.

Stubbornness.

Practice.

Willingness to learn.

An open mind.

Humility. (sheet metal will give you plenty of this)

Patience.

I have looked for these at wally world and other suppliers, but to no avail. seems to come from within. Seems too some days I have more of one than another. I guess these traits (and more i cannot think of right now) are needed for any venture in anything.

Marty

Marty... I could not have said that better my self
that is exactly what one needs :D
Peter

CaptonZap 06-12-2016 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobD (Post 126775)

I have a Maple trunk section about 40 inches long, and about 15 in in diameter. If you were clever, you could cut it in half, make a stand to put the cut section on, and have four faces to cut various shapes in.
I live close to I25 and Alameda, if you want to come by and take a look.

CZ