All MetalShaping

All MetalShaping (https://allmetalshaping.com/index.php)
-   Introductions (https://allmetalshaping.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   New member in southeast Wisconsin (https://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=17859)

Racing Geek 04-03-2018 10:43 PM

New member in southeast Wisconsin

Name is Mike and I'm in the Milwaukee area. I heard about the forum I think last Summer from a guy at a swap meet when I misread his sign thinking he was selling planishing hammers instead of buying.

I've always been a gear head and been interested in metal shaping but never had the tools or ambition to jump in until now. My current project is a 1951 International pickup truck and I decided to swap out the boring flat dash for a 57 BelAir dash to class things up a bit. This is my most abititous sheet metal project to date.

I'm a buy a good tool once instead of a bad tool many times kind of person. With that said, it isn't realistic for me to spend the big bucks I see some equipment selling for when I'm just a hobbyist. So far I have a planishing hammer from Northern Tool, a Baileigh 36" bead roller, and the Eastwood deep throat shrinker/stretcher. Space is limited so I've been thinking about either making a smaller bench top english wheel or waiting and hopefully having the room later this year to make a large floor machine. Either way I'm ready for any tips and tricks you've got.

Also if anyone would like to share a source for sheet metal in southeast WI I'd appreciate it. I've checked with Alro and Speedymetals and the cost at both were much higher than I expected.

Peter Tommasini 04-04-2018 07:56 PM

Hi Mike welcome to the forum
Peter

kjohnfj40 04-09-2018 08:37 PM

sheet metal

Hi Mike, I am also a new member from the Beloit area. Working in Rockford I have checked other places for sheet metal and speedy in Rockford had good prices for that area.

Kevin

route56wingnut 04-09-2018 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racing Geek (Post 145112)
Name is Mike and I'm in the Milwaukee area. I heard about the forum I think last Summer from a guy at a swap meet when I misread his sign thinking he was selling planishing hammers instead of buying.

I've always been a gear head and been interested in metal shaping but never had the tools or ambition to jump in until now. My current project is a 1951 International pickup truck and I decided to swap out the boring flat dash for a 57 BelAir dash to class things up a bit. This is my most abititous sheet metal project to date.

I'm a buy a good tool once instead of a bad tool many times kind of person. With that said, it isn't realistic for me to spend the big bucks I see some equipment selling for when I'm just a hobbyist. So far I have a planishing hammer from Northern Tool, a Baileigh 36" bead roller, and the Eastwood deep throat shrinker/stretcher. Space is limited so I've been thinking about either making a smaller bench top english wheel or waiting and hopefully having the room later this year to make a large floor machine. Either way I'm ready for any tips and tricks you've got.

Also if anyone would like to share a source for sheet metal in southeast WI I'd appreciate it. I've checked with Alro and Speedymetals and the cost at both were much higher than I expected.

You may have talked to me at Jefferson or Iola Swap Meet. I am having a Metal shaping meet at my shop on May 3-5. I also have 19g sheet metal in both draw Quality and CR .