View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 11:55 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Post Forming a high level project plan

In a project of this size and complexity, it’s important to define priorities and from there form a good plan.

My top priorities are:
  1. Build a high performance car that I’ll want to keep and use for a long time. In other words, make a car that will be thrilling to drive but also comfortable to drive both around town and on extended trips. I’ve never owned a “garage queen” and don’t intend to start now.
  2. Stay true to the “spirit” of the original Miura but don’t restrict project choices to the ones Lamborghini engineers made over 50 years ago. To me, the Miura spirit includes a powerful transverse engine (i.e. capable of propelling the car up to 172 mph) placed in the middle of the car and with a body shape that could easily be mistaken for an original from 15 feet away.
  3. Take advantage of automotive technology advances by including them where it will make for a better driving experience but won’t take away from the Miura spirit in priority 2. Some modern technologies that quickly come to mind are things like EFI, ECM, and performance tires. The Miura was a very technologically advanced car for its day and there are still some areas where today’s factory cars (USA made anyway) and OEM parts are still catching up. I’ll want to strike the right balance between sticking to technologies used in original Miura and modern ones.

From these priorities, a few top level questions came to mind:
  • Can I comfortably fit in a regular sized Miura or do I need to go for a plus sized car?
  • What engine and transmission package should be used?
  • Will I need to build a chassis myself or is there a source where I can buy one at a reasonable price?

As it turns out, the answers to these questions are very inter-related. I’ll provide my thoughts and conclusions in subsequent posts.