View Single Post
Old 10-17-2018, 06:52 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

There are a few different ways to smooth out foam. I'm not going to use a hot wire but I'll show you that anyway. I put two pieces of welding filler rod into a soldering gun and strung some .023 MIG wire between the two. Pull the trigger and the wire gets hot enough to cut. The benefit to this method is that it's very clean. No dust at all. BUT, although you can get pretty good result, you'll still need to sand to smooth the form out. Also it's somewhat slower than full attack mode with a grinder.

Name:  1326.jpg
Views: 2200
Size:  62.0 KB

Here's a picture of some cuts made by hot wire. Notice there are no snow drifts left behind.

Name:  1327.jpg
Views: 1792
Size:  34.6 KB

My preferred arsenal for this size job consists of a razor knife, hack saw blade, mud rasp, and a grinder.

Name:  1328.jpg
Views: 1530
Size:  32.0 KB

I have smoothed out the 7 center layers that are permanent. Then I cut out the removable inboard and outboard parts.

Name:  1329.jpg
Views: 1571
Size:  31.8 KB

I cut out and glued the removable parts and smoothed them out. After I finish making the left liner, I'll take these off and make new ones for the opposite side. Much easier than making two complete forms.
I've reconsidered using a sheet to draw the ABS down. I wouldn't be able to reheat if I have to. I think what I'll do instead is use strips of fiberglass screen about 8" wide. If the ABS starts cooling before I get it fully laid down, I can reheat with a heat gun in areas that need it. The screen might print the ABS but I'm not too worried about that. You can't see any of the liner from above.

Name:  1330.jpg
Views: 1546
Size:  30.9 KB

Name:  1331.jpg
Views: 1570
Size:  62.6 KB

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.