View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 07:18 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by berntd View Post
Interesting stories.

Looks like a lot of people had bad experiences. Not just me
But those who do a lot of stuff, obviously have a probability of stuff going wrong.

My dad suggested that I should clad the plywood in very thin sheet metal to reduce fire hazard. That is another major project though.

That will not help me with the exposed roof beams though. They are treated pine and there is a mezzanine floor on top of those with several tons of stuff and parts.

I wonder if there is some sort of fire retardant paint instead?
I am also considering a 3.5kg or maybe a 5kg CO2 extinguisher. Boy, both of those are quite heavy and the work for 10s or 17s only.

Any opinons suggestions greatly appreciated?

Regards
Bernt
Not sure about paint, but here in the USA there are specific code required & approved procedures for appropriate gypsum drywall with specific fire resistant silicone caulking that are used in multi-unit & -level/-floor construction. With that mentioned ex-marine former boss and our crew, we serviced a contract doing a full r&r of a 4 story building that had been done wrong so had to have all the improper but brand new firebreak drywall redone. Easy to install and segregate specific areas. But I still hate doing drywall.....

Usually, a local building inspector can be asked questions about such things and will provide wise advice. Doing it the right way can be a big help with any subsequent insurance claim, if that ever happens.

It is good that you were not hurt and didn't lose your building. You're in a great spot to do something now that you're past the hypothetical.