View Single Post
Old 03-05-2016, 07:02 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Had a closer look at the section left on the first side and wasn't happy about it.

Only had a few pin holes but cut it all out and will replace the whole section of rail so no old parts left on this side. Floor sections that have pitting under the rail will get replaced as well. Just makes me feel better knowing it will be more sound that way.

Replaced sections that had some pitting.

The reinforcement channel for the shackle mount was thicker than the front spring mount, so I made sure I matched the guage. Probably because there is only two rivets holding it instead of four for the front mount spread over a larger area.

I clean a small area where the plug welds are to get the best penetration.

Started using this right angle grinder I picked up in England for a souvenir to knock down the welds to almost flush. Believe it or not but the discs I use on it were once 9" cut off wheels! Once they wear down to 5" I use them in my smaller 5" grinder until 3" in size, then on this. Fortunately I had saved all these small ones over the years to use one day.

So one whole frame rail completely replaced and half of the other. The remaining original rail is in good condition. Notice the rust holes in the floor though.

I was going to leave the floor for whoever bought it to replace as didn't know if it was going to a restorer or someone who wanted a cool looking camper trailer. Well it just got sold and they want me to replace the floor for them.

I cut it out along with the floor braces even though they were still in very good condition. They didn't however fit the new floor profile planned as they were pressed to support the ribs.

My old Jeep gets pressed into service to pickup a brand new checker plate floor guillotined to my specifications.

Even though brand new, any loose scale needs to be removed for the paint to stick well. It killed my wire wheel though and I looked like a echidna with steel spikes implanted into my overalls everywhere!

Out comes the bigger one and nearly finished doing both sides.

Underside gets a coat of zinc so areas over the floor braces etc get protected.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.