View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhunter View Post
..., I figure that you have a list of "things you would do differently if you could". ...What are some other things you would change?
I'd have spent a long time building the car on paper. Since I don't do CAD, I'd probably have made a clay model, cut it into sections, and projected them on a wall to make section lines. From there, a hard buck.

I'd still have done flexible shape patterns because they work for me but without a hard buck to get the arrangement right, these reverses will kick your butt because it's very difficult to change arrangement on a major reverse.

I'd have made my chassis stiffer.

I'd have purchased the final wheels and tires early on.

I'd have not tried to use anything from the Dakota...waste of time and money. Over the years I've learned that EVERY time I try and cut corners or cheap out it bites me in the butt sooner or later... You'd think I'd have learned this a few decades back.

Basically I'd have made a PLAN instead of playing it by ear in real time. It's going to turn out fine but it would have been much less painfull and probably faster to have spent more time planning instead of jumping in just so I could start making shape in aluminum.

I'd also have probably done a superleggera approach instead of the more traditional substructure I did. It would have been easier as well as lighter.

Finally, as much as I love the look of this car, it was (is) a real stretch for my skills. A simpler design would have been smarter and probably plenty cool for an old man....