View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 06:13 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gardiner View Post
Kerry thats one hell of an undertaking! How long have you been building it, you probably said but I have not read the whole thing just skimmed it (its late I will have a better look soon) ...
Thanks David, I'm about 2 1/2 years into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gardiner View Post
....You have done an amazing job though. I know how much work is in a thing like this.
If I'm being honest, if I'd known how much work it was going to be, I'd have probably never started.

Relatively few people actually design and build a car from SCRATCH and I was ill prepared for all the things that had to be done and all the things I needed to know before I did them. Instead, I learned as I went...usually during the first or second redo (not the recommended approach). Still trying to figure out all sorts of things that I should have resolved before I started.

The main reason that I didn't build a hard buck was that I didn't really have a design. I knew the look I was after. The ironic thing is that I made my living as a program manager preaching "Failing to plan leads to planning to fail!" You'd have thought would have known better.... But like many of the customer projects I was called in to rescue, "...I just wanted to get started on the fun stuff..."

Oh well. They say when you quit learning you're dead.