View Single Post
Old 08-08-2009, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Good subject Tim.

I needed some inspiration.I have been so busy here lately,I haven't had time to do anything for myself.

I have been practicing tig welding. I have gotten to be a decent bench welder. What I mean by that is, two flat pieces on my welding bench under perfect circumstance.

I have a ton of shaped scrap pieces. I want to start cutting them up and then start welding them up to get the hang of welding them together.

For controlling the warpage -

I still use the same principals,tac every 3/4'' starting from the center of the panel alternating sides, working outward, re-stretch the tacks. I find with the tig welder I don't have to grind proud of the weld before re-stretching the tacks. Then I just fill in the welds between the tacks also alternating sides re stretching the haz as I go. I forgot to mention I use a copper backing to trap the inert gas to insure a clean weld on the inside as well.

To finish the weld I use my 90dg die grinder with a 80 grit pad then my orbital sander with 80 grit then finish it with 120.

I am no pro but I was taught by one Randy Ferguson. After working with him and seeing his work, I will be hard pressed to change my mind on changing my technique.

I don't care how long it takes as long as it is perfect when it is done

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.