View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65
Default The Art Deco Imperial Project - Part 7

THE ART DECO ROADSTER PROJECT
9/3/07

Progress of sorts. Between building the shrinkers and a couple ewheels I haven't had much time to work on the roadster but thanks to a screwup at LineX, I had a day free today and got to play.

I decided to move my door posts (A pillar) about 4" forward which will make it easier for me to get my old long legs in the car. That turned out to be pretty easy. I had previously made the rear of the doors and the rear door posts (B pillar) so once the A pillars were relocated I needed to make the door sills.

I lofted the body line with a piece of 1/4" steel rod and traced the line on a piece of aluminum. Cut the line out for a template of the lower door line.

Then I got to use the new deep throat kick shrinker and boy howdy did it ever work great. The bottom of the door is made from 18 ga. The inside is just a piece 5" wide with a 2" flange turned up. The outer edge is 2x2" and is curved to match the profile guage.

I took about 2 minutes (LITERALLY) to make this part!

Below is the contour guage. I actually over shrunk the angle and had to make a couple hits on the stretcher to get it right.

The guage is reversible so I can use it for the other side.

I then laid both pieces on the car, marked and cut to the line. A little hand work and I had a good fit and was able to clamp and weld the two pieces together.

A little grinding and

Welded into the door posts it fit perfectly. You can see the curve in the lower door.

If I have time tomorrow I'll build an upper brace and will be able to swing the door and install the latch.

9/4/07
The door...she latches!

Big day.

Had to wait for LineX to respray a frame that was supposed to ship today but I got some unexpected play time. When I got the Rocky hinges, I also got their door latches and mounting kit. The kit consists of a piece of 16 ga angle with the holes and spaces already cut in it. I trimmed it a little to fit within the rear door frame and tacked it in.

A little welding and grinding and:

The striker bolt mounts on the B pillar and you simply mark where it goes once you have the latch in place, drill a hole, and screw the bolt into the mounting bracket that gets welded on the back side.

Push the door and the latch goes "click...click"

This is the latch from the outside of the car looking in.

And here it is from the other side. You can see the "C" channel I made from 18 ga to stiffen the door and align the rear door face. The door is still a little twisty so some more bracing is definitely in order.

Close up:

I am going to try and get the other side done by Friday. Bennett Chapman is coming over for a couple days and we're going to make some foam/bondo fender bucks.