View Single Post
Old 10-08-2014, 06:42 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Not as much time to work on it lately, but thought I would throw up a little update anyway. All little bits done still add up in the long run.

Time to make up some rear coil mounts. These are the ones from the Grand Cherokee that I had unpicked from the frame. Will just use the coil locating part with the threaded hole for the bump stops.

As nearly half the mount will hang out to one side of the frame, it needs to be supported. Rather than just a couple of triangular gussets, thought I would make something similar to how it was originally supported on the donor Jeep. One was cut out and then a template made from it so a duplicate could be cut out.

I only had some 90mm/3.5" heavy walled pipe to use, but really wanted 100mm/4". So the pieces were cut out a bit bigger so they could be modified. Drew out a circle to the size I wanted and then slowly shaped the pipe on the anvil until it matched the larger 4" size.
Welded them to some left over 4mm plate for extra support

The support plates were cut out bigger by the material thickness of the coil perches all round so it could be welded right near the edge and then ground smooth. If you make both pieces the same size and weld on the edge, once ground, the weld will be lost. All the existing holes will be used as plug welds for extra strength.

All welded up and smoothed out. The back sides were sprayed with weld through primer to stop any rust between the layers.

Just sitting there at the moment and looking from the top side, gives you some idea how it will look once mounted. The covered area of the frame has already been coated as well as the back of the mount.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.

Last edited by Gojeep; 08-01-2017 at 02:57 AM.