View Single Post
Old 11-22-2018, 05:08 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

I’m better at showing someone the shape – form idea than writing to explain it. The bicycle fender in all 3 of my photos has the same shape……. only different forms. The first photo is factory stock. In the second photo I pulled the sides apart to soften the side to side crown, those with sharp eyes may notice the tip to tail distance has closed up a bit. In the third photo I twisted opposing corners into each other. Because no shrinking or stretching was involved all 3 have the exact same shape but are formed up differently.> >

Swell but now you are thinking what does this have to do with shaping sheet metal ??? Many times you will find you don’t have the exact die face radius or hammer face radius you need to do a job but you can deflect (reform) the panel to work with your tooling or hammer face and then after adding shape reform it back to the form that is closest to the part you are trying to make. In other cases the panel may not fit into the throat of your E-wheel, bead roller or whatever but many times you can make it fit by reforming it. As you get close to finishing a panel it may not fit the buck correctly, then I always try changing the form a bit just because it’s the quickest at that point.>>
> >
I agree with everyone, you need more shrinking on the edges so you really need to call some tree pruning service and get that tree stump. I also agree with Peter, the ball peen or whatever you are using has too tight of a radius to be on top of controlling your metal shaping. Also think about this……… your pattern is showing good fit up by using directional shrinks but you are trying to shape that fender with numerous radial stretches . ~ John Buchtenkirch >>
S&F1.jpg

S&F2.jpg

S&F3.JPG