View Single Post
Old 05-09-2016, 10:16 AM

Three years ago I developed a system to duplicate the curves of a panel.
I never was sure that the panel was made with what sweep. I guess you could go by trying till you get a close fit. But it would be just that, a close fit.
I developed a set of gauges to be used to match the curve exactly. Using the gauge setting I am able to duplicate any arc. The system works for concave and convex arcs.
The resulting sweep is cut into tempered Masonite 1/8" thick at a cost of about 11 cents. The router bit I use is capable of cutting aluminum also. The templets can be assembled into a buck arrangement or can be used as a guide to cut the arc into thicker material.
I make sweeps in three lengths to accommodate the size of the panel being worked on. The sweeps can be attached to one another to accommodate panels that change radius, like the way the door of a model a or other panels change radius. Generally a long radius followed by a shorter radius. I have found that a sweep of less than 30" works best for me . But if I need one longer I just join two together to get the exact length I need.
Pictures in my album... http://allmetalshaping.com/album.php?albumid=37

Mike

Last edited by Mike Rouse; 05-09-2016 at 11:28 AM.