Thread: Meco Torch
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2018, 12:27 PM

Manny, just adding to the conversation here.

My thinking when I bought the whole Meco kit was that the extended neck would distance one from the heat and that worked well - up to a point. Didnt need it when welding the thinner sheets and only used it with 3mm ali panels. With the largest nozzle it could do all the joints but not a T where the edge rested on a flat in close proximity to a 90 bend. I guess there was just too much metal around to hot up and melt and the heat dissipated too quickly. It was 1xxx series so any other alloy would probably be even harder to do.

Even if you would quench the torch in water it wouldnt be quick enough to counter the heat loss in that time.

The limit to the torch for ali I would say is about 2.5mm for all types of joints in most welding applications. After that it seems the Meco runs out of gas in tighter corners. Maybe I could have tweaked the O/A mix better or the pressure was too low but that was just my experience.

The Meco torch with the ultralight hoses is really a wonderful piece of equipment and becomes an unnoticed extension of ones arm. Would recommend it to anyone.