View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 06:50 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2018, August 2021,November 2023

Today I decided to take a detour from my initial plan. Initially I had planned or thought I'd like to get the new floor and inner structure figured out before I went ahead and dealt with any modifications to the roof and rear glass.

However, while continuing to clean up the remaining inner structure late last week I thought it foolish to fabricate the new inner structure when then time arrives while still needing to work around the remaining structure left of the rear window, package tray and roof rails.

I decided to just bite the bullet and get the rear window and modifications to the roof roughly figured out so I can eventually fabricate and tie all the structure and changes in together at the same time, resulting in a better thought out plan and finished results (hopefully) The reason I initially didn't want to do this was to take away even more structure / rigidity of the body.

When I came up with this concept and changing the proportions of the roof and moving the back glass forward, I was 99% certain that I'd run into a problem with being able to use the stock glass. When moving the window forward, the car gets wider, so the rear window visually looks too narrow (I had this decision to make on the '49 Mercury project as well)

I'll have to do some real thinking to either find another glass that has the desired shape / size that I'd need to fit the modified opening or there is certainly the option of having a custom curved glass made. Personally I've never done it on a project, but it's done all the time. Luckily my customer is heavily involved in the glass industry, so he will be doing some research for our possible options as well. Right now, we are still in the planning stages before we commit to anything. Though him and I agree that the overall shape / flow of the rear roof & window shouldn't be compromised or changed just to fit the stock sized glass with less than desirable end results visually.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 3017
Size:  75.5 KB

Trunk opening was braced widthwise so the rear window opening, package tray and roof rails could be removed.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 2138
Size:  75.9 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1809
Size:  74.9 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1783
Size:  74.6 KB

Set the back glass opening roughly where / how it would eventually be.

Dane