View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 05:20 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Default Don't be too hard on yourself.

Jack, I feel your pain………. however just about any parts that are being plated or polished to perfection are not novice level. While a really good polisher may be able to polish out some minor imperfections I’d say the metal work / finishing has “got to be 99% there” for a lack of a better way to describe it. I have helped prepare many trim parts thru the years for my friend’s plating & polishing business https://vtwinscycleshop.com/polish.html and it’s not relaxing work, you get away with almost nothing unless your plater has access to illegal cyanide copper plating tanks. No parts can be mig welded, it doesn’t polish out the same as surrounding metal.

I will add whenever a job beats me up I try to move on to some easier portion of the job so I’m still making some progress but my thoughts will keep flashing back to figuring out the harder job. I also purposely place unsuccessful pieces where I’m forced to see them many times during the day as a constant reminder to me of where my thought process should be focused. Time away from the stress portion of jobs has allowed me to outsmart problems many times which is why I hate jobs with an absolute deadline…………… guess I’m not ready to do a TV show . ~ John Buchtenkirch

P.S. I have enjoyed your updates on your build. THANK YOU.

Last edited by John Buchtenkirch; 01-12-2019 at 05:23 PM.