View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

OK, back to the car.

Mark 'Superleggera' Savory send me an email suggesting I look at OLD style VW headlights. The ones that lay back and have glass lenses. Aftermarket parts are available with new 'non VW' glass and chrome trim.

A VW buddy happened to have some:

Name:  VW1.jpg
Views: 4249
Size:  26.8 KB

I didn't have time to mock anything up but I did drive the car and got a good height measurement. The overall height did drop 1/2 inch

Name:  VW2.jpg
Views: 4092
Size:  23.7 KB

We'll waste some aluminum prototyping in Oblong.

Name:  VW3.jpg
Views: 3776
Size:  24.5 KB

This look was not unusual in the era. Lots of cars had glass lenses over the headlight bulb.

One other thing to be done is to design and implement vents in the fender side for the engine heat. Here is one option:

Name:  SideVent.jpg
Views: 3712
Size:  39.0 KB

I did drive the car around the block. It has new mufflers, glasspacks actually, and it's too loud but it doesn't drag going into the trailer any more. I'll need to figure something out to muffle it and not be in the way.

Also went through the carb and got the idle jets working. MUCH better!

Name:  Outside1.jpg
Views: 3866
Size:  31.0 KB

Name:  Outside2.jpg
Views: 3760
Size:  23.7 KB

Name:  Outside3.jpg
Views: 3768
Size:  21.2 KB

Name:  Outside4.jpg
Views: 3887
Size:  16.9 KB

Couple things I learned when it was back on the level floor after having settled from driving.

1- Right front fender was lower than left and too low. I lifted it up 3/4" and now they are the same height from the floor.

2- The wheel well opening will need to clear the tire more. Couple ways I can deal with this, including raising the car a 1/2" with the coilovers. Or I could raise the tip line. Or I could raise the fenders in the front. Or.....

3- Damn it's fun to drive!