View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65
Default The Art Deco Imperial Project - Part 26

THE ART DECO ROADSTER PROJECT
Mid February 2009
Dang this is slow work. I've been pretty frantic trying to get ready for the regional meet next weekend. I can tell I'm getting better at welding the aluminum seams but I've still got a long way to go. Below is the right rear fender that was shaped last year. What I had to do was reshape some of the panels to raise the top of the decklid up 2 " as we decided at MM08. These were cleco'ed together and the lines scribed, cut, and tack welded

This one seam took me 8 hours to get to a metal finished result as shown in the following photos.

Fitting and welding the seam took about 4 hours. The remainder was in filing, bumping, etc

With the two bottom pieces in, the fender is more less ready for flexible shape patterns. Still a lot of work to do on it. Flanges to tip and final bumping to do. Also the fender mounts will need to be redone but that can wait.

I haven't decided how I'm going to do the lower center section yet. There will be a license plate indention somewhere, probably in the lower pan. I have to determine how I want to join the two fenders together at the back. At the moment I'm thinking about a single seam in the center. Part of that would be behind the license plate.

I like this view.