View Single Post
Old 06-24-2018, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

A little more progress.

I wanted to get the hinges squared away to verify they would actually work with the decklid without further modification.

I tacked a reinforcing piece to the outer perimeter frame. I CAREFULLY measured and drilled the holes in the tulip panel then positioned the frame where I wanted and marked the holes. Once drilled, the hinges fit perfectly with spacers as planned although the vertical alignment is still off because the spacers are not correct but that won't be an issue. Better yet, the frame opens and closes fine. No binding, wobble, or side to side movement and it swings up and down just fine. Now I can trim it for the required gap of 1/4" all around. After that, I'll finish shaping the decklid and install it on the frame. 1/4" gap plus the .063 wrap of the decklid material will yield a 3/16 gap before primer and paint.

Name:  20180624_130027_resized.jpg
Views: 2366
Size:  62.0 KB

Name:  20180624_130038_resized.jpg
Views: 2258
Size:  75.2 KB

But first, I needed to do something about the quality of my opening. I failed miserably at tipping a nice tight 90...miserably! Because of the fabrication I did on the weatherstrip flange, it's hard to get to the area to slap it into a tighter 90. So I cheated and ran a TIG bead around the 90 and will file it to a 1/16 radius.

Name:  20180624_145452_resized.jpg
Views: 2212
Size:  57.5 KB

I've ordered a new fuel pump which didn't come in today. I really need to get the car outside and make sure I'm happy with the profiles.

Last week, I read through this entire 12 year saga. I have to admit it's been quite the journey and while I've made most every possible mistake at least once (and too often multiple times), I've also learned a great deal.

While reading, I got to the part a few pages back where we were discussing the side vents. One reason I want to get it outside is so I can make some temporary panels with the various vent designs and take some photos. I'm not sure I'll change anything but I won't know until I know.