View Single Post
Old 08-09-2020, 09:53 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

I really , really didn't want to use vent windows on this car. I think they hurt the smooth design and I hate to stray from the original renderings. I know that an overall sleek design is due to hundreds of small details working together. Vent windows are no small deal.

A while back I started test fitting the window regulators and a plywood template of the glass. I was having problems getting the window to roll down. It would go 2/3 down, then the rear lower corner would hit the back of the door frame because of the angle of the tracks and A pillar. When I was shaping the doors, I thought I had covered this. I rounded and shortened the rear edge of the door to shorten the window opening by a couple inches.

Anyway, I'm left with two options; live with only being able to roll the windows 2/3 down (total butcher/hack job) or install vent windows that deviate from the ultra smooth look of the renderings, but allow the side glass to go straight up and down. (All the way down)
So, I picked up these vent windows for a 57 Merc. The angle looked right. I knew they'd be too tall but the biggest consideration was matching the angle of the A pillar as closely as possible. I think they'll work.

Name:  1819.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  56.9 KB

Name:  1820.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  60.9 KB

I removed the old weatherstrips and the vent window frame so it could be cut down.

Name:  1821.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  57.4 KB

Name:  1822.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  60.4 KB

Next I set it in place to get a look. It's WAAAY too wide. It takes up too much window area. It needs to be shortened and narrowed.

Name:  1823.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  74.6 KB

Name:  1824.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  34.5 KB

I cut about 2" from the circled areas where the side glass run channel bolts on to narrow it.

Name:  1825.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  55.4 KB

Much better.Next I cut the vent window frame. I took 2" out of the height in the area where the lower pivot hing bolts on so the hinge would hide the weld. Then I trimmed the upper and lower ends of the vent window frame to fit.I'll leave the main frame (blue arrow) in chrome because it will meet up with the chrome trim along the top edge of the side glass, but I think I will black out the run channel and vent window frame so it sort of blends in and doesn't look so cluttered.

Name:  1826.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  72.2 KB

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.

Last edited by Jack 1957; 08-11-2020 at 06:53 AM.