View Single Post
Old 08-15-2020, 08:49 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

This is why I really wanted to eliminate the vent windows.When I did my 57 Chevy, I only chopped this car 1 1/2". It looks like more but that's all I cut out. Removing the vent made the side glass longer which gives the appearance of the roof being lower without looking like it was stepped on.
This roof was a swap from a 59 Chevy 2 door sedan. The rake on the rear window also adds to the illusion. But, unfortunately, it's not in the cards for the Cadillac. I can black out the vertical run channel and the vent window frame to minimize them but I have to use vent windows on this one.

Name:  1827.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  63.3 KB

Moving on. Here are the cuts I made to narrow and lower the vents. Older cars (pre 1969) had various shaped vent windows, triangles, rectangles, and variations of trapeziums such as this one. If you place your cuts carefully, it will save you a lot of work later.

One important consideration is to avoid relocating the pivot points if possible. In this case the pivot points are where the (red arrows) are.

First I cut off the main frame horizontal bar and lower perch to narrow the frame. (Green arrows) Then I cut the weather seal. I cut the seal just below the lower pivot point so the seam would be less visible. (Blue arrows)
Next I cut the window frame also right below the lower pivot point (Pink arrow), removed a section and welded it back together. I cut below the pivot point so I wouldn't have to relocate the pivot pin and potentially screw up the geometry. After that I assembled everything and trimmed off the ends of the window frame for a good fit.

Name:  1828.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  35.8 KB

Back together and operates properly.

Name:  1829.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  33.4 KB

Name:  1830.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  34.3 KB

The gap below the window frame will not be seen since it is below the belt line. I'll still make a filler panel out of stainless sheet for it so the lower window seal has a place to sit.

Name:  1831.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  33.9 KB

I made some templates for the windows out of some scrap plexiglass. Be very accurate when making templates for windows. If you're wrong, you still have to pay your glass guy for your mistake.
The original windows were .225" thick. The gasket material on the left is .030" thick. As is, the glass and gasket fit snugly in the frames but I think new modern glass is closer to .200" thick meaning I may have to get thicker gasket material. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Name:  1832.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  48.6 KB

Everything fits and functions well.

Name:  1833.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  59.0 KB

Good fit on the left side also.

Name:  1834.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  31.0 KB

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.

Last edited by Jack 1957; 08-16-2020 at 07:46 PM.