View Single Post
Old 05-27-2017, 12:47 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by longyard View Post
Can you tell me how by using a rotary machine Touring was able to get the line to "fade" away at the back?
Attachment 41955
Nope, I cannot.

But I can tell / show you how we do fadeaways here in my shop, using a non-Baleigh/non-Mittler rotary machine, vintage about 1910 ......

The first job we set this operation up for was for a set of very pronounced Vignale wheel arch flares ... like this ....
Name:  Ice Racer 058 copy.jpg
Views: 4222
Size:  46.5 KB
.050 3003 aluminum.
We decided to do each completed quarter panel, in turn, making the flares start at 0" rise, go to the maximum of 1.5" and return back to 0".
It took three of us working together in unison to manage the quarters, turn both handles on the rotary machine, and to pre-anneal.
Name:  Ice Racer 053 copy.jpg
Views: 4192
Size:  53.1 KB
We had calculated the handle cranking beforehand, marking out the rise and fade increments on each panel. The set-down crank had a degree wheel added (not shown) to synchronize it with the set marks on the panel. The test parts worked according to the math - and so did the four quarters, as you can see. There was no filing or sanding needed, at all, anywhere on those flares. Nice job, every time.
Name:  Ice Racer 050 copy.jpg
Views: 4155
Size:  45.1 KB

Again, I don't know how Touring did their fadeaways, but this worked very well for us.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.

Last edited by crystallographic; 05-27-2017 at 12:50 AM.