View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 07:36 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
I'm in total agreement with Bob on this.

I'm sure you've started thinking about the body. I assume you are either going to have a wireform or other hard buck?

How difficult will it be to license and title? Windshield and side glass?
Kerry: yes, I will be making/using a buck of some sort. My metal shaping skills are getting better but no where close to being able to shape stuff without a buck to check against.

In Calif. the license/titling process for homebuilt cars is navigable but still a pain. I've been through it twice now and know what to expect. The thing that gets under my skin the most is the very large "use tax" check I've had to write for both my other homebuilt cars. Basically CA taxes you twice in this situation. You pay sales tax when you purchase all the pieces and parts that go into the car. Then DMV makes you show receipts for all the major parts, they add them up, and charge you a "use tax" on the total. I've tried to nicely explain to the DMV clerks that I already paid sales tax on these parts so I shouldn't be taxed on them again. They tell me they excluded the "sales tax" from their receipt summations and so I'm not getting double taxed. It's obvious to me that the clerks responses are straight out of their training manuals so DMV knows it's a bogus tax but they're the "mob" and can get away with extorting money from citizens. So I write the big check, leave DMV cursing under my breath, and talk bad about politicians and government bureaucracy every chance I get.

Windshield and side glass. Got any suggestions? Somehow I think finding a windshield of the right size/shape will be harder to do than the side windows. The Miura used fairly standard sized/shaped doors unlike the Countach.