View Single Post
Old 11-28-2018, 09:53 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

I'm going out on a limb here, but this is what I took from the displays and training at Kent's recent visit. Because of the silver appearance and content of the three alloys and their melting temperatures that he demonstrated, and the choice to use 850 degrees F. as the deciding factor, I am choosing to describe one of his alloys as ''Silver Soldering' and the other two as 'Silver Brazing'.

The first picture I incorrectly labeled in an earlier post as Silver Brazing as I did not witness this demonstration first hand. It is Kents filler rod #ABS-0063 and has a melting point 780 deg.F., and is non corrosive flux cored. It is primarily used to join most common aluminum alloys (with the exception of 5005 & 5052.) Photos on Kents website indicates that it can also be used for copper &/or brass. I consider this to be Silver Soldering.

MiscTankPics 017.jpg

The second picture is the only one I took of the demo on using Kent's ABS-0229 non corrosive flux cored filler rod. It has a melting point of 1160-1180 deg.F. In the photo, Kent is adding a simple cover patch to an aluminum air intake to better display the tinning technic that he prefers. Here he is using a piece of 3003H14, but his website indicates that this filler rod can be used for adding several alloys of fittings to aircraft tanks.

KentClassMon 027.jpg

This third set of pictures is showing Kent tinning and adding an exterior patch to a steel turbo inlet tube using his ABS-0064 flux coated filler rod. It's melting temperature is 1020 deg.F., and can be used for steel, stainless, copper, brass, silver, gold and German silver. This filler rod has a 55% silver content. As with the other filler rods mentioned, Kent strongly advises cleaning the surface with a stainless steel brush or sandpaper and welding with a 'soft' flame.

KentClassMon 022.jpg

KentClassMon 023.jpg

KentClassMon 026.jpg

I don't feel that I have a good grasp on what other materials might be used to attach with using these rods, and perhaps Kent himself can add to that current vision.