View Single Post
Old 09-08-2018, 06:32 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
I made a visit of Joel last Monday after a visit to the Blackhawk Museum which is nearby him. Given this is a fairly new project for him, it is amazing at how much work has been done in regard to the chassis itself and getting it to a stage where it will be a roller upcoming.

One of the things most people won't realize is the amount of planning in the chassis itself before being actually made. Not just from an engineering standpoint (suspension system, geometry setup, bump steer, etc) but also in how to utilize standardized catalog componentry to fit within it. One of the biggest time consumers in doing something like the scope of his project is how the little stuff eats vast amounts of time. The radiator is a standard setup versus having to be 100% custom built with an oddball shape. The fuel tank is pre-cut (provided in the kit) and just needs welded and the addition of bungs, fuel pump and filler. The suspension is basically readily available parts with the custom stuff pre-made as part of the tub delivery. Some folks might be hesitant in doing a chassis like this -- but given the cnc technology in creating it -- I know I couldn't build a standard tubular frame or traditional monocoque chassis for the same price much less be able to integrate all the out-of-the-catalog stuff that is being used. Also the tolerances given the bonding of structures is amazing -- if this was all welded together none of it would be given the heat applied and things "moving". I applaud Joel for doing what he did and worthwhile for others to study closely as well. He has a solid foundation underway and it won't be a several year project before he is delving into creating the actual coachwork envelope itself.
Thanks for the positive review for the Miura project!! I do want to note that the praise for the innovative chassis and the design foresight to make provision for all the "off the shelf" components really goes to Charley Strickland of Strickland Racing. My project has greatly benefited from using Charley's product but I want to make sure the credit for it actually goes to where it's due.