View Single Post
Old 12-30-2019, 04:31 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean in CT View Post
I ended up with some oil canning on the bottom after i welded the filler "neck" on the side. I am going to flange the baffles to make it all more rigid. Thinking of drilling holes and plug welding them.

I think i would have needed to roll some beads or other shape into the bottom to reduce deformation. I used aluminum blocks as heat sinks whic i think helped. Also used the Fireball Tool Mega Squares to fixture - they work great!

Hi Sean,
Here's one proven baffle install design, no distortion, no big heat sinks, no fancy clamping ....

:
IMG_0111.jpg

70_brazing the rivet heads.jpg
The olde bead roller makes twin beads parallel to each other, downwards, trapping the baffles in place, allowing for easy riveting, and then distortion-free brazing of the rivet heads. (pssst - brazing does not melt the parent metals to join them together - so there is zero "solidus" or "shrinking" as the molten metal cools back down).
Brazing the aluminum rivet heads onto aluminum tanks is very common in aviation tank methodology, and has been since about 1939, according to ALCOA.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.