View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 08:57 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

Joel, if you're going to use MDF use 3/4" minimum. The size of the panels you'll need are too large for 1/2". Anywhere you're going to screw parts together, insert and glue wood dowels. MDF does not like wood screws.

In the fist first picture below, notice that each station has a printout bonded to it that has the profile of numerous stations printed on it. Meaning that only one or two sheets had to be designed to include station profiles for the whole car. Notice also that you don't see the printouts glued to the right side of the stations. They are probably on the back side to give an exact mirror image. You could also have your inner structures printed on the same sheets, maybe in red or a different color than the outer profiles. Then cut when needed.

The second picture is the Caddy buck I made recently. The edge that the sheet metal will touch. I cut a 45 degree bevel on each side which left only about 1/4" of material that will contact the sheet metal. No need to fair with grinders and sanders.

The last picture is the spine of the same fender buck . Notice that I had to bolt a piece of 1 1/2" angle iron on to stabilize it. The spine is about 7 feet long and just in a couple days of setting on the stand, it started to sag. MDF is pretty stable but it will warp if large spans aren't reinforced.
In long smooth areas I use about 12 to 16 inch spacing. Less in areas with more complex shapes. I was looking at the CGI of your buck design and it appears to have far too many stations. You will be able to see or feel highs and lows between much larger spacings so I think some of the stations on your last drawing aren't needed.
As for using the buck on the ground and on the chassis, if you locate your "windows" carefully to outline the obstructions on the chassis, you might be able to trim the buck quick and easy when you're ready to set it on the chassis by simply cutting a few window frames out. Lifting it without breaking it will probably be one of the major challenges in this operation. Good luck, I'll be watching your progress.

25ed1c097ae9e9c6578a9883ba3da5fe.jpg

535.jpg

543.jpg

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.

Last edited by Jack 1957; 01-16-2019 at 09:10 PM.