View Single Post
Old 06-19-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
Used stuff is probably available but I have no idea what is available in Europe or what prices are. You can probably get a Chinese wheeling machine like thing for the kind of money you're talking about but it won't be a very good tool. That said, some folks, like Jack who is doing a magnificent job on his Caddy, can make the Cwheels work fine. More experienced shapers can do better with inadequate tools than novices can.

I'd encourage you to buy David Gardiners, Metal Shaping with Hand Tools DVD. It's the best education you will get for the money. https://www.classicmetalshaping.co.uk/dvd/

Finally, I know nothing about your skills, background, and aptitude. I would expect that a very novice builder would have a difficult time scratch building a car body. Of course, it's been done and done well by other novice builders before. I'm saying this to tell you that building a body from scratch is a very non-trivial task...depending on the body of course. A Lotus 7 (LoCost) body is mainly simple curves and you don't need an ewheel for that. Anyway, be honest with yourself and go for it.

OK I understand. Thank for recommending the David Gardliners's DVD. I think it could be possible to get some machines in US (maybe even used one) and get it shipped to Europe.
Is there some option between $1000 crap machine and $6000 good machine I know $6000 is probably not much for professionals but I don't know how much I am gonna use it.
What is the cheapest/quite good option in US for English Wheel and Planishing hammer (I hope it is not the one for $6000 ).

Edit: Is it possible to make planishing hammer diy or there are some problems with it which could cause the final product won't work properly?

Last edited by verbos; 06-19-2019 at 02:37 PM.