View Single Post
Old 10-18-2018, 05:44 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2018, August 2021,November 2023

As you may recall, I previously had to cut out the center crossmembers that the chassis builder had as there was just no way they would work how I wanted for the exhaust.

I have now bent up 3 new crossmembers (1 is also the removeable transmission mount and will get split with bolt flanges added to it later)

The new crossmembers had to go up and over the exhaust yet drop down in the center for driveshaft clearance once the suspension was raised.

The front (transmission mount) is level, the second crossmember has a mild drop and the third one has a deeper drop. This tapered drop front to back helps it follow the angle of the driveshaft better. For no reason except it visually looked nicer to me and more "planned out" I'd say.

I finished it off by adding a few more exhaust hanger brackets and isolators.

Tomorrow I'm hopefully going to set the body back on so I can start getting a real good game plan for floor structure, etc.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1688
Size:  77.7 KB

A view from the front with the suspension dropped shows plenty of driveshaft clearance.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1452
Size:  77.3 KB

From the rear with the suspension dropped, again shows good clearance.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1314
Size:  78.0 KB

A view looking down the length of the driveshaft.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1278
Size:  77.2 KB

The view from the side with the suspension raised up shows why the crossmembers had to drop for the driveshaft.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1280
Size:  74.8 KB

This angle from the front helps show a bit how each crossmember has a different "drop" to help better follow the driveshaft angle.

Dane