View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 02:00 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHillWill View Post
It took me a while to come to the conclusion that if you are going to have a useable, lasting wooden egg crate buck, cheap will rule that out. I tried several kinds of plywood and none of it turned out to work well for me. It split, drew moisture, split when I hit on it with a hammer, etc. Water from the water jet leaves a mild surface stain that rubs right off, but water has no effect on it that I have seen to date, and some of my Model A bucks are 14 years old
When I was in racing, one of the Ford factory chassis builders and parts suppliers had a sign at his sales counter that said "speed costs money, how fast do you want to go". It was, and still Is, sound logic. You will get what you pay for.

As always, this is just an opinion from an old guy!
Will: thanks for the straight shooting feedback. I do understand your point and appreciate you have a lot more experience with station bucks than I. So I am really listening and acting on your input. My dilemma is that I'm basically making a one time use buck. I'm trying to balance the investment in cost with the needed serviceability to get a good outcome. In other words, I'm not trying to be cheap but on the other hand don't want to over engineer it either.