View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 08:33 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

I've been putting it off as long as I could, but it's time. I need to get the CTS firewall swapped into the 49.
I dropped the engine and trans then cut away as much of the front unibody as I could for now. I have a lot of time into finding the best way to do this. I decided that I will take the CTS firewall out along with the trans tunnel. That will ensure that the dash and console will mate up during the transplant surgery.
Next on the list of things to consider was whether to use the CTS floor pans in the 49. I decided not to, the floor and floor braces in the 49 are in good shape and strategically placed to align with the body mounts. I don't want to lose that. Another reason is that the floors on the CTS dip down from the door sill about 2 inches. On the 49 they are straight across and there is only about one inch gap between the frame and floors.
There's a lot more measuring and head scratching to be done before cutting but at least I have a plan now.
The only thing that concerns me is the cabin air filter plenum. It is the composite box that you see in the pictures on the passenger side. I will be keeping most of the original 49 front body mount and there will probably be some tricky work involved in clearing that box. I will probably have to fabricate one out of steel. It's a pretty basic piece, it takes air from the cowl area above and allows any water to run out of an opening in the bottom. The filtered intake air to the cabin is in the middle.
I'll figure it out once I get the dash out. That's next, stay tuned.

Name:  1216.jpg
Views: 1406
Size:  33.4 KB

Name:  1217.jpg
Views: 1424
Size:  33.9 KB

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.