Old 05-08-2009, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65
Default The Art Deco Imperial Project - Part 16B

THE ART DECO ROADSTER PROJECT

Name:  BurtBuck10.jpg
Views: 10071
Size:  46.0 KB

The metal tape is pretty amazing. I had a couple spots above and behind the rear of the door opening that had no structure. I just pulled some tape tight, folded it and put it where I wanted. A second layer of tape stiffened it up enough I'll be able to make my tape pattern.

Name:  BurtBuck12.jpg
Views: 10044
Size:  39.4 KB

Name:  BurtBuck13.jpg
Views: 10042
Size:  40.4 KB

Name:  BurtBuck15.jpg
Views: 10029
Size:  35.1 KB

Now it's time to make the standard flexible shape pattern.

Name:  BurtBuck16.jpg
Views: 9899
Size:  36.1 KB
Name:  BurtBuck17.jpg
Views: 10017
Size:  37.3 KB

Ran out of time for the day. I'll finish it tomorrow. The Burt Buck is a huge innovation imo. Right up there with the Nadia tool holder.
Quote:
How are you going to do it, the transition? I think it would be difficult(sp) to do in one piece. What's your thought on it?

It will be SEVERAL pieces Ron, maybe 5-6 counting the areas around the door and cockpit. It probably could be done in less but I'm no longer afraid of welding the panels together.

I still haven't decided HOW to join the body & fender. The welding rod lofted over the ribs is in the 'bottom' of the trough and would be a perfect place for a flanged seam.

Alternatively, I could let the fender unit go all the way the the trunk opening. More or less like the metal is in the photos.

It would be more period correct to do the join in the transition bottom but I hate to break up that line.... We'll see. I'll probably make a couple tape patterns so I can cut them up differently. Lots of learning going on here!
Quote:
...This is workmanship at the highest level...

Thanks but I've seen workmanship at the highest level...this isn't it...yet.

Quote:
... And as I understand it you did not shape metal since you wore diapers, so your documentation is a great inspiration for us old farts.

I started my metalshaping apprenticeship (via MetalMeet) in 2001. Started getting serious about in 4 years ago when I started the Ewheel business. If I can do this...anyone can. I've learned more from teaching the basics to others than any other single thing....helped them...helped me too.

Btw, I'll be 59 next month so I'm certainly an old fart myself. I figure I've got 10 years of heavy activity left (Lord willing) and then I'll probably be spending more time in the recliner than in the shop.... Hopefully more but statistics are what they are. Anyway, the time line gives me some motivation to get things done.
3/9/08
Working reverses is HARD. Dan Pascoe gave me this idea a few months back...using a lower for an upper. In my case my EDWARDS anvils have 3/4" axles so it was easy to do. The wide yoke gets in the way so I'll probably make another yoke. Worked well enough though.

Name:  Linear.jpg
Views: 9834
Size:  21.0 KB

Most the work was done using a linear stretching die...actually one from my planishing hammer set...in the Pullmax. I have tool holders for the planishing dies which extends what the Pullmax can do.

This panel should have been all stretch on the edges.

Should have been but I screwed up and over stretched the sides and ended up spending twice as much time shrinking it back than it should have taken.

The flexible shape pattern pulled from the Burt Buck worked GREAT!

And here is the finished panel mounted on the car. I still need to wash out the panel but the fit is there. This is a top view.

Front view

I've got about 6 hours in this panel...three more than it should have taken.

Reverses are hard for me. I'm really pretty good at visualizing shape but reverses are backwards/inside-out/upside down or something and I have trouble getting my head around them. I expect I'll figure them out long before I finish all the reverses that are on this car...

Side view...