View Single Post
Old 07-29-2018, 08:04 PM

Default Shaping multi-directional curves- spoiler

Guys I am working on a 77 trans am. I have multiple ideas for adding small touches to the car to make it unique. Some of the changes are necessary to accommodate large wheels and other such mods. Some of the changes are purely for custom looks and asthetics. This particular thread is about an asthetics project.

First let me start by saying I have an English wheel, shrinker/stretcher kit, and bead roller. All of them are the harbor freight units. I have shears, throatless shears, and all the necessary tin snips of course too.

I want to know how I could make the spoiler for my car out of metal. The factory fiberglass units mate to the car weird and look cheap if you stare and study them. I think their construction would be pretty difficult. The main trunk piece curves across the car's width as well as on its front and rear faces. The faces come to a "sharp" point where the top edge is only 3/16"ish wide. Idk how such a deep, sharp edge would be created without making the piece out of several pieces and welding them together. I have these pieces labeled with numbers in the attached pic.

Should this piece be made from 3 pieces? Two #1's and 1 that was the front and rear faces? I'd think I'd need some large diameter, deep tipping die to make the sharp, deep edge if the front and rear faces are going to be 1 piece. The wheeling would also probably have to be done before the bend since I wouldn't be able to get the wheel in after the bends. There should also be support pieces throughout the spoiler that are shaped similar to #1 too shouldn't there be? I'd probably make it out of aluminum killed draw quality 19ga steel.

Maybe I'm way off base. Probably am. The pieces that mount on the quarters are much more complex. This is just the starter piece. I can only dream of how much junk I'm going to generate attempting to make these pieces. I better order some more 4'x8' sheets.

Please give me some direction. Thanks in advance. I really look forward to learning this stuff.

1532217600735.jpg

Here for my '77 Trans Am

Last edited by Steve Hamilton; 07-30-2018 at 10:46 AM.