View Single Post
Old 11-13-2018, 12:19 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblack View Post
Cessna wheel pants? I interesting location for the welds. Not like your video where each side was done in equal quarters. These appear to be divided at the points of highest curvature. Gorgeous work.

You must have to be real careful on those instrument panels to not over stretch. I still don't get what the Marlin spike is for, though I know it is one of your go-to tools. Someday I will get down there. My fear is that I will return home with half your tool inventory (already own the other half) and have to get another mortgage.

ps - supershear is my go-to file. Love it for aluminum. Perhaps I need to get another one to bend it up.

Yes Scott, those 195 pants had the welds on the highest-strength contours. Worth noting is that the beads go right through the planished gas welds - with zero problems.
I use our Marlin spike (phid) as several different tools: a small dolly-on-a-stick, a small hammer, a lifting point, a line-up punch, and as a radius tool. Best $1.5 I spent, back in 1972.... now we make this one size for metal working.
Super Shear file design (Nicholson) dates to 1953, according to the man who set up the machine to cut them. Great file for cutting aluminum fast.
P1010663 copy.jpg

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.

Last edited by crystallographic; 11-13-2018 at 12:38 PM.