View Single Post
Old 11-17-2018, 08:33 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

This is the washer bottle for a 2006 Jetta. I use them often. You can get them for about $25 on fleaBay. You can mount them anywhere you need to since they have a remote filler nozzle. Very compact, about 10 x 12 x 3 with a sturdy 4 bolt mounting flange. The hose that comes with it might work for you but in this case, I replaced it with about a foot of 1 inch dia surgical hose. The fitting on the tank inlet and the filler are 1 inch barbed so just mount the tank and filler tube where you want them and slip the hose on. Simple. The tank accepts most GM pumps and sensors and probably a lot of others. I mounted the tank low on the right side near the firewall.

Name:  1370.jpg
Views: 1642
Size:  66.2 KB

Name:  1371.jpg
Views: 1259
Size:  41.3 KB

With that done, I could install the right fender liner so that's not laying around any more. Same routine as the left side.

Name:  1372.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  39.6 KB

Name:  1373.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  32.2 KB

Next I finished off the radiator. The CTS cooling system uses a surge tank. There is no need for a radiator cap but I couldn't find a performance aluminum radiator without a cap. No big deal, I just plugged the overflow tube fitting and installed a return line fitting on the tank just below the cap. The hose from there will go back to the surge tank. I also mounted two 8" pulling fans, one near the inlet hose and one near the outlet hose. The CTS system uses two fan speeds and the resistor needs to be kept cool while operating at low speed. The resistors are in that black plastic box mounted on the upper fan. With that done I mounted the radiator in the car.

Name:  1374.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  37.3 KB

Moving on, I need to get the fuel tank finished off. The CTS has an elaborate pump and sensor system that goes into the tank. On the CTS, the tank was partially divided by a drive shaft tunnel. On the right side is the pump and level sensor. On the left is a fuel level sensor and fuel pick up. A tube connects the two so the pump can siphon fuel from both sides. I couldn't use the CTS tank so I got an 18 gallon tank from a 68 Camaro since it was a good fit between my frame rails. Since I now have an unobstructed fuel tank, the two pickup system is redundant but it would require some reprogramming in the ECM to eliminate the pickup and sensor module. I decided to put them both in since they are designed to work together and reprogramming would require testing the system to determine which sensor does what. By the time I'm at the point where I start testing electrical systems, I'm sure I won't want to drop this tanks back out and start looking for problems.
Sooo, I cut the holes for the two units and started flattening the ribs in the area where the flanges will need to seal with the palm nailer from inside. I cut some rings that I'll drill and tap. These will go inside the tank. The big O ring goes on the outside of the tank, then the pump goes in and the flange on top of the pump assy rests on the O ring. I modified the original CTS retainer ring and I'll drill that to match the bolt locations on the lower ring.

Name:  1375.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  73.4 KB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1376.jpg (73.7 KB, 307 views)

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.

Last edited by Jack 1957; 11-17-2018 at 09:02 PM.