View Single Post
Old 09-23-2018, 08:28 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

I've been laying out the CTS harness in the 49. Routing is pretty much the same as in the CTS but a few things needed to be changed. The service connectors for the electronic door latches and the connector for the door power harness had to be reversed because of the suicide doors on the 49.
The door latch connector originally ran to the back edge of the door where the CTS latch was mounted in the door jamb. The door latches are electronically activated, not mechanically. I needed to unlace the connector from the main harness and move it to the front of the door opening where the latch is now mounted.
The same needed to be done moving the door power harness (power windows, door latch switch, power mirror, etc.) from the front of the door opening to the rear.
There is a main harness running from front to rear on both sides of the car so the process is the same on both sides. I am not tying the harnesses down yet because there are a couple other similar modifications that will need to be done.
There is a receiver that was mounted on the CTS under the plastic rocker covers on both sides near the back edge of the doors. It receives the signal from the key fob and activates the door latch to open the door. It was mounted under the plastic because the signal would be unreliable if it had to pass through the sheet metal body. I will have to relocate that receiver. There is enough room to mount them under the speaker grills on each corner of the dash board. It will be hidden by the speaker grills and there is only the glass windshield that the signal will be passing through. Another result of switching to suicide doors.

Name:  1292.jpg
Views: 2030
Size:  68.1 KB

In the picture below, the circled item is a cable operated emergency escape lever. It mounts on the floor beside the seat. If, for whatever reason, the power fails while in the car, you can pull this lever and it actuates the door latch and opens the door.

Name:  1293.jpg
Views: 1799
Size:  41.8 KB

Moving back to the rear end of the harness, there are a couple wires that go from inside the car to the outside underneath. They are for the ABS sensors on the rear wheels and fuel management systems. these have large pass through insulated grommets on them where they seal to the trunk floor.
When you're doing wiring take all precautions. One screw up can cause nightmares and with as many wires as this car has, it would take forever to find a chafed wire causing phantom power drains or popping fuses with no predictable frequency.
OEM's pay crazy money to swarms of engineers to prevent that kind of crap. This simple insulated grommet is a prime example of that, so USE IT!
I'm using a 2 3/8" hole punch to open holes for the grommets. Then pull the wires through and snap the grommets into place.

Name:  1294.jpg
Views: 1664
Size:  34.8 KB

Name:  1295.jpg
Views: 1622
Size:  59.6 KB

Name:  1296.jpg
Views: 1652
Size:  53.8 KB

Same thing on the other side. Also on the right side are the battery cables and rear fuse box

Name:  1297.jpg
Views: 1609
Size:  66.7 KB

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.