View Single Post
Old 04-23-2018, 05:40 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2018, August 2021,November 2023

Today I cut the roof skin loose. Since we are shaving the drip rails, cutting through them automatically release the exterior skin obviously. Since I have to redesign and fabricate new side roof rails, having the skin off will be nice anyways. (Otherwise I would have just cut several inches of the drip rail loose and welded the separation bit by bit normally)

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1689
Size:  75.9 KB

With the skin off and the passenger roof rail is removed back to the factory joint near the windshield post. I'll rebuild a new rail back from there.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1665
Size:  75.3 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1655
Size:  76.4 KB

I'll set the roofskin aside for a while.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1654
Size:  75.1 KB

The side window template / buck I made attaches to the windshield post and to the temporary bracing inside. I can unscrew it, remove it and reinstall in the same location each time. This will probably come in handy as I fabricate the new rail.

Tomorrow I'll start designing and making patters for the rail and hopefully start working and rebuilding with new sheet metal tomorrow finally.

Edit: Even though the body is braced, I set it up and leveled it front to back in multiple spots and and measured for square. Realistically I'd love for the body to be on our building rack, but I've got the chassis sitting there currently. I'll just keep a good eye and keep double checking for level and square. Eventually before any of the floor or main internal structure is fabricated or re-built the body will actually be set back onto the rack over the chassis and built to fit that. The adjustable jack stand under the center of the rocker is just set under there "just touching" to make sure nothing settles or bows in the middle. Belts and suspenders deal pretty much! The passenger door latches with a push of a finger...really smooth. The driver's door isn't as nice, but wasn't when the car was together, but all the door opening dimensions are exactly the same side to side so we'll just refine that when the time comes.

Dane

Last edited by pplace; 04-23-2018 at 05:52 PM.