View Single Post
Old 12-21-2014, 02:46 PM

Default Amazing what you find!

Bill,

There is no lack of shoddy work. I think most collision shops today just do not have the metal craft skills you see presented by the folks on this forum!

I did a 1970 Plymouth Superbird for a friend of mine a while back. Had some bubbling over a rear quarter wheel arch, so thought it was just typical Mopar rust. My friend had the car painted about 12 years earlier and had supplied NOS quarters, so we all thought this was just an small mistake or rust creeping back in. Sent to the paint shop (we just do metal in our shop) and the fun began.

Previous shop had cut the NOS quarter down to be only a skin, brazed in on, banged the weld seam into a valley and filled it with plastic. Paint still looked good 12 years later, save a few bubbles!

Looks like you have the issues figured out and certainly have the skills and desire to repair correctly! I am a big fan and getting the cars on a sturdy jig/table. I built a "frame table"from 3x5 1/4 wall and it has served us very well. Guys in my shop liked it so much, they recently build a second one! We essentially weld the unibody to it while doing the heavy repair work.

Good Luck!!

forming metal for fun.......
UscarTool.com Mild to Wild, We Don't Scare Easy