View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 12:13 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Post Transaxle mockup

I’m going to step back in time a few weeks here to talk about transaxle mockup and show pictures. I’m guessing this process just might be interesting to you and give context to the work that went into sorting out the Miura sizing question.

A lot of good things start as a pencil drawing on the back of a “bar napkin”. Here’s our bar napkin drawing for the engine/transaxle package:

It became apparent right away that the best way to figure out just how compact we could make the engine/transaxle package was to mock it up. I’d already identified the engine but not the transmission. After a bit of searching we narrowed it down to the Tremec TKO 600 5 speed transmission. The main case and gear set on this 5 speed transmission can certainly handle the HP and torque (the 600 in name gives the torque rating) of the Coyote, it is fairly compact, and the shifter can be mid-mounted out the top of the transmission. Having a 6 speed would be nice but the 6th gear adds more main case length and I didn’t think a second OD gear was really needed for the Miura.

Given this is a custom transaxle build, I knew I needed to have an experienced and willing transmission expert to help out. I poked around and found Bob Hanlon of Hanlon Motorsports in Elverson, PA. (www.hanlonmotorsports.com). Bob quickly understood the project, was willing to help us out by providing measurements, explaining various gearing/ratio options, and with cores, etc. for purposes of mockup.

Pete located an engine block and head. We got the transmission main case from Bob. The mockup process started.

The first stage mockup objective was to situate the engine and trans main case as close together as possible to minimize the diameter of the gear set that would connect them. The bar napkin design called for use of a chain in addition to gears and but it looked like we could go with a 2 gears and no chain from the initial mockup. The distance from crankshaft center to transmission input center is about 11 inches in this initial mockup. So a transfer case could be made using two 11 inch gears. In addition, that distance could be shortened a bit by shaving off a protruding ear near where the factory starter mounts from the engine block. More work to go but this gave us something to start with.